Wilkos winter ale stuck?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac

Reaction score
Put a wilkos winter ale on the go 16 days ago but it appears stuck at 1022, wait or just bottle. Has been kept at a constant 22C. Also, add the apple or not, seems to taste quite fine without it. Wife says yay I say nay.

Hi, I brewed this kit last year, it did take a bit of coaxing if I remember rightly, I'd definitely add the spices and I think I had to give the FV a swirl a time or two.1022 is high to proceed to bottling.

Ive done it twice mine started at 1.060 and both ended at 1.019 so around 5.4% which was fine for me. I added everything and I also think its one of the best winter warmer type beers I have brewed. Good luck.

Put a wilkos winter ale on the go 16 days ago but it appears stuck at 1022, wait or just bottle. Has been kept at a constant 22C. Also, add the apple or not, seems to taste quite fine without it. Wife says yay I say nay.
If you believe it has stuck try this
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...s-for-dealing-with-stuck-fermentations.74910/What the OG? Knowing that will give you an idea of what sort of FG to expect, given the yeast should be capable of low 70s% attenuation, although @parpot above only managed 67%. Perhaps there are lots of unfermentable sugars in the kit.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies, as above the OG was 1060

It's not very appley if you do add it - mine came out at 8.4% - I added extra sugars.

650g gs
500g dme medium
230g brown sugar
og1079 - fg1015

I wanted 2 full crates of 33cl bottles which I managed (15.85) litres so I had to brew a bit longer & stronger about 17.5

I think this is an excellent two can kit. First time I did it, no extras, just used the two cans. OG 1048 - FG 1012 and achieved this in 6 days. I only added about 80% of the spice sachet as it smelt so strong and I was worried it would be too overpowering. The second time I brewed it, OG 1049- FG 1010 in 8 days. This time I added only 50% of the sachet and it was not enough. I have found the spices mellow after about 4 weeks in the bottle and my third kit (yes, I like it a lot) will be started next week and I shall be using 100% of the spice sachet. You pays yer money as they say.

got it down to 1019 if i squint really hard, gave it a stir saturday night

Also, have some small packets of yeast leftover from previous brews where i changed up, no idea what they are, should i pitch one in

got it down to 1019 if i squint really hard, gave it a stir saturday night

What do you expect it to get down to, or what do the kit instructions say?

As the SG is so high (1060), the FG might not end up as low as you think. I just plugged the figures and at FG 1019 your yeast has attenuated 68% - a bit on the low side, but without knowing the specs of the yeast it could be OK. Many yeasts attenuate in the 70-75% range, some do a bit more, some do a bit less.

I think the yeast is 11g Nottingham Ale yeast.
I've just had a look at the notes I made when I did this kit..FG was 1016.

Last edited:
well, gave it a stir turned up the temp a degree absolute no change still stuck around19-20 any ideas or just bottle

Given its history, if it were mine I would bottle it now. If you are worried about potentially exploding bottles, open one in a weeks time to see if excessive pressure is building up. I doubt it will be.

Hi Mac, this beer style doesn't need much carbonation so if you bottle use less priming sugar just in case it ferments down another couple of points during carbonation

@Mac
If you bottle your beer at 1.019 use at least one PET bottle so you can monitor whether the primary has restarted as it carbonates. If the PET bottles go rock hard you may need to be extra cautious at opening time, and might have to also prepare for a the worse case scenario of explding bottles, however unlikely this may be.

I started this kit around 35 days ago (OG 1070) and it only stopped bubbling 8 days ago when the gravity was around 1020. I wondered if it might be stuck so I ordered a brew belt to warm it up a few degrees and it's now had a week at 18C. The gravity is still 1020 so maybe it's finished? What should I do? Cheers! (Apple flavouring sachet added on day 4)

the kit says tp use 85g so should i decrease the amount and if so by how much

I started this kit around 35 days ago (OG 1070) and it only stopped bubbling 8 days ago when the gravity was around 1020. I wondered if it might be stuck so I ordered a brew belt to warm it up a few degrees and it's now had a week at 18C. The gravity is still 1020 so maybe it's finished? What should I do? Cheers! (Apple flavouring sachet added on day 4)
At 6.56% yours achieved better than mine I would bottle or keg.

Latest posts

Back