Will my fridge(s) be ok in the winter months?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe1002

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have two fridges, one i will use to ferment in (which will not be on permanently) and the other to keep beer cool (which will be on permanently). They will both be going in my external concrete shed. Now the shed is not insulated, will the fridges be ok during the winter months?

I'm wondering whether the refrigerant gas will turn to liquid, will any pipes / compressor crack, does it help by having it on permanently?

Thanks,
Joe

Hi J, I have 2 fridges in a shed all year round,1 running continuously the other in summer only & in 6 years have not had a problem yet with either of them. :cheers: ken.

The refridgerant itself has a very low freezing point. Much lower than tempretures we will ever see here. You won't have any troubles.

Also, fridges give off heat due to the nature of their use so even in a cold winter the heat omitted should keep the shed frost free.

I've killed three fridges/freezers over the last 10 years using them outside :shock:

The first was an old Currys /matsui freezer that was 10 years old anyway, and we had bought a new one.

The second was a second hand Norforst that I suspect had been treated badly anyway

The third was a brand new Norforst that only lasted two winters.

The issue is that while the refrigerant doesn't freeze the compressor oil gets very thick and then fails to lubricate the compressor which finally gives up the ghost. When I learned this I did fit a Heater belt to the compressor to keep it warm if the temperature dropped below 5C . . . unfortunately I forgot to actually connect it to the mains so killed the third freezer prematurely.

Some fridges and freezers are actually designed to work in low ambient temperatures, and have a different 'climate' rating . . . most are only supposed to work at room temp (~20C) and if you go below this it is at your own risk.

Latest posts

Back