Will the Cascade contribute to the taste?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donjon

Reaction score
I recently brewed a 13 litre IPA batch with

22g Chinook @ 60 mins

22g of Chinook @ 15
10g of Citra @ 15
15g of Cascade @ 15

and

7 pellets of Simcoe @ flame out
12 pellets of simcoe @ flame out
5 pellets of chinook @ flame out

I am really happy with the flavour. Very pungent pine, red grapefruit with delicate fruitiness underneath. My question is, will the Cascade be masked by the hops with higher AAs?

I recently brewed a 13 litre IPA batch with

22g Chinook @ 60 mins

22g of Chinook @ 15
10g of Citra @ 15
15g of Cascade @ 15

and

7 pellets of Simcoe @ flame out
12 pellets of simcoe @ flame out
5 pellets of chinook @ flame out

I am really happy with the flavour. Very pungent pine, red grapefruit with delicate fruitiness underneath. My question is, will the Cascade be masked by the hops with higher AAs?
Simple answer is yes. Normally if your looking to get an equal balance you should adjust AA% to suit ie 10g of 5% + 5g of 10% but you must also take into account the attributes of each hops character for bittering, flavour and aroma of which being the more prominent and your malt bill will contribute as well.
Above is where it can get technical but knowing each hops characteristics will let you know how they blend with others and where best to use them at different stages be it boil, flame out or dry hop etc.
In the meantime don't panic as I'm sure it will be good as cascade and Simcoe do go well though I've yet to use chinook.

Last edited:
I've done a Chinook Cascade combo and it turned out pretty good. The Citra should work well too. I'd avoid using Citra or Chinook for bittering in the future though, they can be quite harsh.

I've done a Chinook Cascade combo and it turned out pretty good. The Citra should work well too. I'd avoid using Citra or Chinook for bittering in the future though, they can be quite harsh.

I've been using Chinook exclusively as my bittering hop for all my IPAs. What would you suggest as an alternative?

Really, so cascade for bittering. Interesting. So to get the same IBU I'd have to multiply the AA% by the g of chinook, then divide that by the AA% of cascade.

Simple!

I've been using Chinook exclusively as my bittering hop for all my IPAs. What would you suggest as an alternative?

I like either Bravo or Warrior for bittering in an IPA. I remember using Chinook as a first hop addition in an NEIPA once and not noticed it harsh but I just checked through my notes and seen first hops went in 20 minutes from the end of the boil for that beer.

Latest posts

Back