Will you be downloading the Government track & trace app?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you be downloading the Goverment track & trace app if and when it becomes available

• Yes, I will be downloading the app

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • No, I wont be downloading the app

Votes: 37 51.4%
  • I dont have a smart phone

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters
I just dont think most people bother looking. We ofte hear about hackers stealing info but most of the time they dont need to. People (unknowingly) give it away

I wouldn't have a smart speaker in the house.

SWMBO talks enough as it is. :laugh8:

Looking at the news about it yesterday and today. It seems they've realised the app won't work properly and are building a second app using Google and apple services

Looking at the news about it yesterday and today. It seems they've realised the app won't work properly and are building a second app using Google and apple services

Do you have a link i cannot find anything about this.

Do you have a link i cannot find anything about this.
https://www.ft.com/content/446df516-4ec5-4c06-b39f-dd89ea5f6f0bIt's behind a paywall. But here is s copy and paste a friend sent me.
NHS team that built first app is told to build another on system being developed by Apple and Google

The NHS has already begun building a second smartphone app to trace the spread of the coronavirus, after criticism of the first app it launched this week on the Isle of Wight. The second NHS app will use technology provided by Google and Apple and is being developed “in parallel”, in case politicians decide to make a switch, according to two people familiar with the situation.

Matthew Gould, head of NHSX, the UK health service’s innovation arm, gave the go-ahead to the new project earlier this week. The decision to build an alternative to the NHS’s original app, which gathers more data in a central database, came after pressure within the government over the technical and ethical issues of its initial approach. One person involved said that talks with Apple and Google had intensified in the past few days, noting a sharp change of tack from last week to more “cordial and constructive” discussions “exploring how we might change course”.

The person said that, as testing had continued, the practicalities of making the first app work had become increasingly apparent. He noted a particular problem over its compatibility with the Apple iPhone, as well as broader worries about the implications for battery life. “These technical details end up being quite important,” he said. Recommended AnalysisNational Health Service Cancer patients face anxious wait as hospitals manage coronavirus risk Germany has already switched from its first app to using the smartphone makers’ standardised system.

The second NHS app will use technology provided by Google and Apple and is being developed “in parallel”, in case politicians decide to make a switch, according to two people familiar with the situation.

Thats a bit sketchy.

A legal expert at UCL has published (yesterday, May 9) a forensically detailed analysis of this app and comes rapidly to the conclusion that it is illegal in terms of its data retention and lack of transparency (amongst other things).

https://osf.io/preprints/lawarxiv/6fvgh

The Register also had an article on its shortcomings when it was first mooted:

UK finds itself almost alone with centralized virus contact-tracing app that probably won't work well, asks for your location, may be illegal

I cannot understand the doziness of our alleged government. Offered the choice between a properly anonymised, secure application focused on personal privacy and a centralised, opaque, personal data stealing application, I can see why their preference would be for the latter, but whoever made that choice should surely have realised that once people knew the impact on their privacy they simply would not use the app.

I definitely will not.

According to an Observer poll only 52% polled said they would download it. From what I could find googling it requires a 60% take up for it to work properly

I hope the poll on this forum doesn't reflect the opinion of the country otherwise you will be in serious trouble. The app will save lives, no ifs, buts, why's or wherefores.

Well actually there are plenty of ifs, buts, whys and wherefores. Read the links in the other posts I've put up this morning. There is in fact a huge question mark over whether it would even work.

But far worse, this is a clear foot in the door to allow this and future governments to circumvent your privacy by grabbing information about you from your phone and storing it without your permission or knowledge, and with no power for you to ask for its deletion.

According to an Observer poll only 52% polled said they would download it. From what I could find googling it requires a 60% take up for it to work properly

I am sure the young ones will get it to the 60% figure easily especially if it means they can go out a bit more.

Back