Windows update (don't do it)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Keep getting recommended updates to 10. Won't do it,been told to leave well alone.I am on 7 and happy with that

I'm on Windows 10 and opted for beta testing around 4/5 months ago.1 hour in and off it came as practically nothing worked properly and shall certainly wait until its fit for purpose...

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk

Keep getting recommended updates to 10. Won't do it,been told to leave well alone.I am on 7 and happy with that

I like windows 10 and i haven't had any problems luckily tonight i am busy so didn't click to restart and update as i usually do i have it set to manually update for this reason.

I'm on build 16299.125 of version 1709, and touch wood not had any problems.

Usually problems occur when using unusual or legacy hardware.

Mind you, I still remember when Vista came out, and all the folks with potatoes running Windows XP were crying everywhere.....:lol:

I'm a gamer, so will be sticking with Windows.

I've used Ubuntu, amongst other Linux distros, many times. I own a license for Zorin OS too that I purchased when one of my daughters needed a new OS fast.

Telling a Windows user to switch to Linux, when you don't know how they use their PC or what for can be a huge mistake. There are lots of really excellent Linux distros, but it doesn't fit for everyone or every usage scenario, not yet anyway. I wish it did for sure, and that all of my games had Linux versions, but it hasn't happened yet, and doesn't look like it's going to happen any day soon (the Steam OS coup seems to have fallen flat on it's face...).

If however you just find the UI hard on Ubuntu hard to get used to, try running it with KDE (used to be a distro called Kubuntu), it's much more like Windows. Or hand over a bit of cash for a Zorin OS license, that's even more Windows like. :thumb:

I got a pop up earlier asking me if i wanted to install some new windows stuff (not the usual pop up) so i decided to see what the update was and i soon found people are having problems like the guy below, i will wait until i see people saying its fixed.

More info - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...ig-time.html&usg=AOvVaw2Vfv9vRhI0FI9TNl-8j1qT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEOHwciilYQ

A recentish update took about 2 hours to FAIL then 2 hours to rollback.

flaming heck , I had to do some jobs around the house and speak to mrs DOJ :lol::lol::lol:

today's big update for 10 worked ok for me.. oooh I can now link my android phone to windows, ooh why would I want to, ah yes because M$ phones are dead. Of course your mileage WILL vary.

I work in IT and advise you to let others take the pain of failed updates first.

Just like I let the aussies beta test the Mazda cx-5 for me :hat:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1979291

never be the first unless your patenting an invention :-)

Mind you, I still remember when Vista came out, and all the folks with potatoes running Windows XP were crying everywhere.....:lol:

But then Vista was a steaming pile of horse dung, 7 was much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone remember windows millennium edition that was the worst OS ever it crashed for fun.

Aka windows 98 pimped for the new millennium. Yea, we had this for a little while, then good old xp came along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone remember windows millennium edition that was the worst OS ever it crashed for fun.

We still have old machines at work using 96,982000,embedded xp,vista and they are only getting round to upgrading the desktop's and laptops to Windows 10.
There is also linux and Ubuntu interfaces as well...

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk

I'm a gamer, so will be sticking with Windows.

I've used Ubuntu, amongst other Linux distros, many times. I own a license for Zorin OS too that I purchased when one of my daughters needed a new OS fast.

Telling a Windows user to switch to Linux, when you don't know how they use their PC or what for can be a huge mistake. There are lots of really excellent Linux distros, but it doesn't fit for everyone or every usage scenario, not yet anyway. I wish it did for sure, and that all of my games had Linux versions, but it hasn't happened yet, and doesn't look like it's going to happen any day soon (the Steam OS coup seems to have fallen flat on it's face...).

If however you just find the UI hard on Ubuntu hard to get used to, try running it with KDE (used to be a distro called Kubuntu), it's much more like Windows. Or hand over a bit of cash for a Zorin OS license, that's even more Windows like. :thumb:

Very true. Gaming is limited with Linux, but Steam made a massive difference by supporting it and in my experience the Linux versions of the titles they have perform much better than their windows counterparts on the same system.

Latest posts

Back