G30 connect controller.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the controller that comes standard with the 2nd and 3rd gen units.

Works well.
Phone app is good, has the recipe builder built in. You can control the whole brew from the app. It's good enough that I've never found the need to try anything else.

The connection from the phone to the GF is Bluetooth only, the controller has no WiFi.
Assuming that if your phone has no internet, as long as the phone has previously downloaded the recipe it would work fine to do the brew as it's only Bluetooth

Does it work on the machine, or do to have to use the phone.
You can control the box directly with the buttons and can be used without the phone app. Though I don't think you can program automatic step mashes via the connect box. Only set the temperature/timer/pump

Hmm. I would really like to fiddle with one before purchase.

Might download the app and see what it will do without connection.

Are there any good tech details / PDFs etc, the instructions are a bit basic?

Last edited:
It has a delayed start via the app. I'm brewing today so can see if it has a delayed start without the app

I can't find a delayed start without the app.

What are you interested in it for? Most of the reason to get this box is to upgrade the v1 controller with the new box that has Bluetooth/app support. If you don't want that, what are you wanting it for?

I wonder whether brewfather can drive it?

Just checked at the start of the brewery. Turned to phone to airplane mode. Pair with Bluetooth. All works as normal (only appear to need the internet to download your recipes etc)

Excellent news. Thank you.

Does it carry on if the phone goes out of range?
Yes. It uploads all the instructions to the control box at the start. You can disconnect the phone for ages. If it need to proceed on a manual step, you can just hit the button on the controller. When you reconnect the app, it recovers and resyncs

Smashing thank you. Sounds like it might fit the bill.
Just need to work out the connectors now.
On the bottom of the unit, you have the following:
  1. Powered - IEC (standard kettle lead)
  2. Pump output - IEC standard FEMALE SOCKET
  3. Heater element output - IEC standard FEMALE SOCKET
  4. Hard-wired temperature problem - it's not got a very long lead - maybe 50cm.
pump/heater element output... sockets look like this
1714309891665.png

IEC connectors make it easy.
I think the temp probe might need fettling, in that case.

Does anyone know if it a PT100 or PT1000 sensor?

Thankyou again. I think it will be a 3 wire PT100.
If the project going to fly, I probably need to keep an eye out for a controller and have a play.

Might be worth a "wanted" post

I have just bought one from them as my G30 screen was damaged and only a 1/4 of the screen worked.Excellent service from them and the cheapest price anywhere in the UK😳It is a real pain you cannot buy just the screen only a really simple repair to replace the screen-one ribbon cable once you have access to the internals.
I could use still use the controller via the phone as the bluetooth etc still works but wanted a new screen.

Attachments

• IMG_8150.jpeg
    IMG_8150.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8151.jpeg
    IMG_8151.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8152.jpeg
    IMG_8152.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8153.jpeg
    IMG_8153.jpeg