Wine advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajt24

Reaction score
ive just done a 30 bottle wilko merlot, I am at the clearing stage now but before i added the fining and stablisers i syhoned into my beer keg as it has a tap and i thought this would make it easier to bottle and less sediment, but now im wondering how am i going to degas? can i just shake the keg? or do i need to syphon into another barrel and mix then bottle? or can i mix it in the keg or would this make it cloudy again?
thanks in advance

I use a degasser tool for my drill, you can also stir it but takes a lot longer, just be careful not to introduce a lot of oxygen as this will age your wine prematurely.

after its degassed do you have to let it rest before bottling as i would imagine it would stir up a little sediment, also might be a silly question how do you know when it is degassed and how do reduce the amount of oxygen being introduced

You add the finnings after degassing so just let it settle out before bottling, don`t go mad with the degassing and mixing in lots of air, your kit will say do it over a couple of days, once you are not getting any co2 bubbles it should be done.

now im wondering how am i going to degas? can i just shake the keg?

If the keg has a airtight cap you could turn it upside down shake it then open the tap to let the CO2 out, keep shaking until you don't hear much gas escaping when you open the tap.

trouble is i have already added the finings? will it still clear if i shake it about

GAZ9053 said:
Don`t think i`d like to be shaking 5 gallon of wine myself Chippy :D :D

I have never found it a problem. :lol:

330px-Jay_Cutler_bodybuilder_2008-crop.jpg

ajt24 said:
trouble is i have already added the finings? will it still clear if i shake it about

I don't think it will do any harm, the finings wont work well if you don't degas as the sediment is held in the small bubbles.

I use a home made degassing wand that fits in my drill and works for both DJ's and Buckets, here is a video on how to make one and other degassing methods - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMwq3TpkqCE

as i gave it a little shake last night, i open the top of the pressure barrel (which i had put it in for clearing) i took the top off and to my horror the pressure barrel top with the valve in had gone dis coloured and i smelt the top and was rusty smell :x so i syhponed it to another bucket, it doesnt seem to have effected the wine so fingers crossed it will be ok :pray:
(i wasnt injecting with co2 it was the only lid i have for the barrel)

I have only made one batch of WOW in a bucket (i now have 9 DJ's) and i made it as i do my 30 bottle cheapo kits in the bucket from beginning to bottling, the only down side of using this method is you stir up the sediment when degassing and the finings take a little longer to clear the wine, the upside is it saves a lot of messing about and you don't need to buy a second bucket, it turned out fine. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back