wine clearing temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdaver

Reaction score
Hi all just a quick one, I've got some wines clearing in the shed that are taking quite a while will this cold snap be to blame?

I put mine out in the shed specifically to clear (and get them out of my way), and they do just fine. It was my understanding that cooler temps helped the yeast and other particles fall out if suspension...(?) not sure if wines get chill haze or not, but it should disappear quick enough at room temp.

could the haze in yours be caused by pectin? I had a teabag wine that was still cloudy after 6 weeks "clearing", so I added a half tsp of pectolase and some finings and 3 days later it's looking way better.

Ta for the reply, it had pectolase added at the start so shouldnt be that and vinclear added at the end, I guess im just going to have to be patient was just worried because its been the coldest since ive started doing wine.

Have you used finnings? I find that when 2 part finnings are used (kieselsol and chitosan or gelatin), then they work better at room temperature.

yea used vinclear at the end, its just a one part solution but ive just read it gets less effective as the bottle goes down.
Guess il just have to be patient.

Patience with clearing is probably key here. Fruits high in pectin (apples, strawberries, blackberries, pears for example) can be troublesome to clear and pectolase will certainly help. If you have already added the enzyme then placing it somewhere cool and giving it some time should help the sediment drop. So unless the solution you've added specifies on the data sheet that it needs to work at a particular temp, the cooler temperatures should help clear things nicely.

I racked and stabilised some WoW 2-3 weeks ago, without using any finings. They have half cleared, in that you can see through them, but they are still on the cloudy side. They've been clearing at around 17-20C, which could be slowing the process down, but I don't want to put them in the shed where it is likely too cold (-3 to +5C currently)

I'm going to pick up some finings or kwikclear this weekend, providing the weather allows me to get to my LHBS, as I'd like to bottle them soon as I need the DJs for my next batch!

I wanted to bottle a rosehip wine but it didn't seem clear enough.

I racked it a second time and noticed a lot of fizz so I gave it shake.
Really fizzy! Took many, many shakes and settles before I felt it was de-gassed enough

And now it seems to be clearing nicely.
No idea if it's the racking or the shaking which helped....

It will have been the de gassing that helped. CO2 in solution tends to hold the particles in suspension. That's why it's important to degas well after stabilising. And before you add finnings.

Another trick would be to bring it back into the warm (10C higher than your garage/coldest place you care to put it) till it gets warm, then stick it back in your garage/cold place, that is supposed to clear a wine quicker.

Back