Wine smells very chemical after adding stabiliser to the kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie72

Reaction score
Helppp..... i have recently become interested in wine making and have done 2 kits already, both 7 day 6 bottle kits. I really enjoyed this, so have embarked on a bigger project! I have started a 30 bottle Chardonnay kit and have fermented this and added the stabiliser. However, i thought i could smell a very chemical smell from this. Further investigations have lead me to believe that I possibly have a bacteria thorough high temp during fermentation or unclean equipment. As i have just added the stabiliser, i was wondering if I should add some Camden tablets or go straight on to the fining, or is there no hope in rescuing this. I would appreciate any advice please.

Stabiliser is nasty stuff and can give off a gas (not advisable to breath in) if it didn't smell as you describe above before adding it let it do its thing it'll be fine.
Hi, no It did not smell like it prior to adding, however i was to add stabiliser then 3 hours later to add the finings, but due to the smell I have left this for nearly 24 hours! This still has a slight smell, so not sure what to do next? Do I leave this longer and then add finings?

Latest posts

Back