WLP002 Flocculation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TartanSpecial

Landlord.
Reaction score
Am just growing up some WLP002 to split into 2 lots, ahead of brewing a Fullers ESB clone in the next week or so. I know its defined as high flocculation but this is mega high...photo is after vigorous swirling. Is there any issue with is floccing out too quickly before the fermentation is complete???..ie need for stirring every day??? Appreciate views from anyone that has used this strain.

Resize of P1030727.jpg

Mine is like that too (Wyeast 1968). It's amazing! Literally forms blobs in the trial jar while you look at it.

I think you should be fine, but I've been swirling my fermenter to rouse it as I only have one or two points to go.

This is a strain I will be purchasing in the near future, so I've done some research into it. Couldn't find anyone saying that it flocced out before reaching terminal gravity. But because it flocces so highly rinsing it out of trub can be a pain as it settles out before the trub when trying get it into suspention

Used this a few times now, it flocs out in lumps like you see there, apparently that's what highly floculant yeast do, rather than the fine 'dust' you get from the medium floculating yeasts.

Latest posts

Back