Women were the first brewers - and there’s pictures !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I thought this was worth sharing. Looks like we were first with the brewing and it’s just taken a few thousand years for you lads to catch up 😜.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...-double-shot-of-sexism?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
I did read about that Victorian lady Mrs Beeton who described brew in a bag, so not as new as some folk think. I believe women were still brewing through to Edwardian times, even after.
Even after the emergence of large breweries there were still a lot of publican brewers where the women played a major role. Really interesting to read where the word 'Bar' came from.
Sarah Hughes was a well known publican brewer at the Beacon Hotel until her death in 1951.

It's a terrible article. A rant and nothing more. She's right, but her ramblings do little to further her case. Unsubstantiated claim follows wild assertion: targeted girly drinks follows "there are no books". Appeals to prehistoric goddesses and engravings of fertility symbols. No reference to beerwives no reference to a burgeoning profitable industry being monopolised by male entrepreneurs and beer-making being taken away from the hearth and into the factory. One wonders at the point of her article until the last few paragraphs where she makes it clear that women were "protected" against alcohol in case, in losing their inhibitions, they become wantonly pregnant or at least deflowered and lose their value to either husband or father. This "property" issue is the wasp she's really chewing on and she's right, you only have to look at the traditional form of the marriage vows to see that it's explicitly a legal contract for transfer of property. The injustice being that a man sowing his wild oats is not devalued while a "second hand" woman is. Of course, how much this actually mattered in "peasant" society, though, is a matter for speculation.
Our magnificently tattooed goth would have done better to have come straight out with it instead of befuddling the issue with her beery thoughts. Or at least she should have done her homework before accepting the chatter that "there are no such books". Shame on the Guardian (an otherwise excellent paper) for publishing such a poorly researched and ill-conceived article. I'm not surprised some readers lost the will to live after the opening sentences.

I did find that article a bit ranty too, but also nodding my head at times. I would like to actually read her book though to see what she what she has uncovered in her research.

I did find that article a bit ranty too, but also nodding my head at times. I would like to actually read her book though to see what she what she has uncovered in her research.
It wasn’t the best written article in my view - I agree a bit of a rant, but some interesting stuff within it

"Even the first known depiction of a person brewing is of a woman, an approximately 25,000-year-old cave carving that depicts a nude woman holding what looks like a drinking horn."
Just checking the head on that pint.

"If you’ve ever sipped on a zombie or a mai tai in a bar covered in bamboo and tropical flowers, you can thank Sunny."
I'll put it on my bucket list.

It's a terrible article. A rant and nothing more. She's right, but her ramblings do little to further her case. Unsubstantiated claim follows wild assertion: targeted girly drinks follows "there are no books". Appeals to prehistoric goddesses and engravings of fertility symbols. No reference to beerwives no reference to a burgeoning profitable industry being monopolised by male entrepreneurs and beer-making being taken away from the hearth and into the factory. One wonders at the point of her article until the last few paragraphs where she makes it clear that women were "protected" against alcohol in case, in losing their inhibitions, they become wantonly pregnant or at least deflowered and lose their value to either husband or father. This "property" issue is the wasp she's really chewing on and she's right, you only have to look at the traditional form of the marriage vows to see that it's explicitly a legal contract for transfer of property. The injustice being that a man sowing his wild oats is not devalued while a "second hand" woman is. Of course, how much this actually mattered in "peasant" society, though, is a matter for speculation.
Our magnificently tattooed goth would have done better to have come straight out with it instead of befuddling the issue with her beery thoughts. Or at least she should have done her homework before accepting the chatter that "there are no such books". Shame on the Guardian (an otherwise excellent paper) for publishing such a poorly researched and ill-conceived article. I'm not surprised some readers lost the will to live after the opening sentences.
After a bit of intense research I found some obscure references, (Google and Wikipedia) It shows that women's important role and beer making is well established.

Reading a good book called "A man walks into a pub" about the history of brewing and yes, women used to brew the beer and was a typical cottage industry in the pre-industrial revolution days. I like the story about the 'magic stick' where the wort was made up and stirred with the 'magic stick' that turned the wort into beer. Of course in reality the stick was infested with natural yeasts so stirring the wort inoculated it and kicked off the fermentation. But the people of the time thought it was a gift from the gods and worshipped the magic sticks. Obviously long before the time people knew yeast even existed and didn't understand the fermentation process.

Also enjoyed the derivation of the saying 'I'll take you down a peg or two' which comes from the day when glass was very expensive and beer was drunk out of earthenware mugs and in the very early days of the government introducing measures in an attempt to limit drinking and improve industrial productivity by reducing the number of lost days due to people nursing hangovers. So the beer was poured out of eartherware jugs with pegs down the side so a measure of beer could be poured. This inevitably led to drinking competitions with the challenge "I'll take you down a peg or two".

Latest posts

Back