Woodforde's Admiral's Reserve - Did I get the wrong kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numbskull20

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed my second Admiral's Reserve and after taking a sample I was surprised to see how light the beer looks.

I think that my previous brew was a lot darker and tasted different. This one reminds me more of a Wherry. I was thinking that maybe the wrong tins were placed in the Admiral's Reserve box.

I brewed short to 18 litres.

Here is a photo of a sample. Hopefully someone with experience with Woodforde's kits can help. Thanks.

IMG-20210315-220929.jpg

I've got an Admiral's Reserve in the fermenter currently. It's the first time I've brewed this kit and expected it to be quite dark. I checked the gravity on it last night and it's the same colour as yours.

The Admirals Reserve kit is only supposed to be brewed to 18 litres anyway, it's a 32 pint kit. I've just finished drinking all mine and it looked the same colour as yours. It was a very good pint! athumb..

Okay, thanks, I just wanted to make sure.

The older kits used to recommend to brew it to 40 pints. That's the reason I specified 32 pints.

My memory of my first brew of this kit is completely different. It was darker and maltier, similar to Hobgoblin Ruby.

Anyway, thanks for clearing it up.

Latest posts

Back