woodfordes wherry beer kit approx abv 4.5%

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
orlando said:
morethanworts said:
Perhaps too long off topic now, on Mick's Wherry thread, so I would divert us to a recent thread where I learnt lots about Star San. Basically, I choose to add a little extra to negate any inaccuracy in my pH strips (it's got to be under 3.5) and rinse, which still gives me the benefit of reuse, great economy and no chlorine.

In which you should have learned that it does not contain chlorine, the active ingredient is phosphoric acid and the pH needs to be below 3, and it still doesn't need rinsing, actually the opposite, it is made to cling to surfaces via its foam, which helps continue the sanitising effect

Nope!

pH 3 is OK, it doesn't have to be 'below 3'. See Star San's own data I don't know about your testing kit, but mine only deals in 0.5 increments.

I didn't say it contained chlorine: In referring to me rinsing, I said it still gives me the benefit of reuse, great economy and no chlorine. I know it's an acid based sanitiser.

Using it as a foam is just one way it is intended to be used - none of which may originally have been intended for homebrewers, by the way - hence the lengthy recent thread trying to get to the bottom of how we should use it!

morethanworts said:
orlando said:
morethanworts said:
Perhaps too long off topic now, on Mick's Wherry thread, so I would divert us to a recent thread where I learnt lots about Star San. Basically, I choose to add a little extra to negate any inaccuracy in my pH strips (it's got to be under 3.5) and rinse, which still gives me the benefit of reuse, great economy and no chlorine.

In which you should have learned that it does not contain chlorine, the active ingredient is phosphoric acid and the pH needs to be below 3, and it still doesn't need rinsing, actually the opposite, it is made to cling to surfaces via its foam, which helps continue the sanitising effect

Nope!

pH 3 is OK, it doesn't have to be 'below 3'. See Star San's own data I don't know about your testing kit, but mine only deals in 0.5 increments.

I didn't say it contained chlorine: In referring to me rinsing, I said it still gives me the benefit of reuse, great economy and no chlorine. I know it's an acid based sanitiser.

Using it as a foam is just one way it is intended to be used - none of which may originally have been intended for homebrewers, by the way - hence the lengthy recent thread trying to get to the bottom of how we should use it!

If you use it at greater than 300 ppm then rinsing is required so your "little extra", if it takes you into that territory, would make it so. I use a pH meter and below 3 is what I prefer to see it at.

got my first wherry on the go now, brewed it to 21 litres and got OG of 1.041 so looks about spot on. will be kept at around 18-19c. Cant wait!!

ok so i dont my 2nd woodfords wherry today ...
sanitised everything then heated up the 2 cans for about 10mins ...
then added 1 pint of boiling water to the fv followed by both cans ...
i rinesed them both out into the fv and gave it a dam good whisking ...
i then topped it up to 23 litres followed by a bloody good stir for 10mins...
took my first reading it was 1.042 and the temp was 23c...
so i pitched the yeast and popped the top on and filled the air lock half way up the bubbles and fitted that as well...
its in my bedroom and will stay there for 7 days then ill syphone it into fv no 2...

time for the pics ... :thumb:
001-21_zpsda33dea8.jpg

002-23_zpsb3c9eca4.jpg

003-79_zps3dcaadda.jpg

004-59_zpsd7f8c1bf.jpg

005-50_zpsce9b386e.jpg

006-42_zpsd9c60ffe.jpg

007-37_zpsfdac42c4.jpg

i hope you like the pics .. :D .

regards mick... :hat: .

Brewbob said:
Did you take the spoon out Mick? ;)

yes brewbob i did ... :D.
i just hope this one goes off better than my first one .. :pray: .

i had no end of yeast probs last time all my falt i must add... :doh:

Well I've seen some stuff blokes take to bed but this is a new one :D . One of the pics looked like you were making honeycomb or was it scrambled egg ;) . Joking apart I thought you had come over to the dark side Mick so what's all this dabbling back in the kit pond then1?

orlando said:
Well I've seen some stuff blokes take to bed but this is a new one :D . One of the pics looked like you were making honeycomb or was it scrambled egg ;) . Joking apart I thought you had come over to the dark side Mick so what's all this dabbling back in the kit pond then1?

the only brew iv done from scratch is my ginger beer...
iv never gone to the dark side... :nono:

i only brew kits theres more than one mick on here ...
i think you must be thinking im him ...

for one thing...
i couldnt aford all the equipment you need .. :nono: .
plus it would drive me mad all that boiling and adding bits ... :doh: .

ok for them that can aford it and dont mind doing it ...
in fact i no people love it and say how easy it is once you get your head around it ...

i take my hat off to them ... :hat:

but its not for me.. :nono: .

very sad my last glass of woodfords wherry just passed my lips... :drink:
but hay iv just put another in my fv so about 6 weeks and i can have it again ...

but im not bitter ...
bitter get it .. :D .
im now on my golden ale also a great pint .. :thumb: .

regards mick.. :hat: .

after 9 days my wherry is down to 1.008, which im really happy with after reading a couple of posts on here saying it can stick at 1.020. will take another reading in a couple of days then should get down to bottling :D

Mines been going since Saturday. I was a little concerned by reports of it being a bit of a pain to get the fermentation going but mine's not had any problems yet. A nice thick head of foam and the bucket has swelled to bursting (really need to get a lid that'll take an airlock).

Brewed to the full 23l and got an SG of 1.042. All signs point to a good brew :D

BackToBasics said:
Mines been going since Saturday. I was a little concerned by reports of it being a bit of a pain to get the fermentation going but mine's not had any problems yet. A nice thick head of foam and the bucket has swelled to bursting (really need to get a lid that'll take an airlock).

Brewed to the full 23l and got an SG of 1.042. All signs point to a good brew :D

just drill a 13mm/1/2 inch hole with a spade bit in your lid...
and put a air lock in...

iv had to do all mine ...

heres some i done the other day for my cider bottle ...

001-21_zpsc5cf454b.jpg

Looks like a project for the weekend after next. Must admit the bulging FV lid is causing some concern.

BackToBasics said:
Looks like a project for the weekend after next. Must admit the bulging FV lid is causing some concern.

just pop it open a bit that will do the trick...
and then just let it lie on the top but dont clip it down ... :thumb:

Couldnt resist any longer, and 8 days after bottling i had to have a drink. made a few bottles into the 276ml size bottles so that i can test them throughout the conditioning process

Very impressed even after such a short space of time!!

buzzharvey22 said:
Couldnt resist any longer, and 8 days after bottling i had to have a drink. made a few bottles into the 276ml size bottles so that i can test them throughout the conditioning process

Very impressed even after such a short space of time!!
hi sorry i took so long to answer ...
but how did it come out in the end ...
did you drink it all before its time lol..

iv just done another one of these but fecked up i put 1kg of brewing sugar in it ...
but iv been told it will just be a bit thinner and a bit stronger ...
so i can live with that... :thumb:

Woodfordes is doing well out of us lot! I tested my Wherry the other day and it was 1006, on advice I put in some malt extract as I put too much water in :doh: Still in the fv and will retest soon.
I didn't intend on playing with it but since the mishap I'm keen on trying things, after reading on here dry hopping with some EKG pellets I bought some, 40g for the whole amount was advised but I am going to put some in a demijohn when it arrives and try a small batch. How much would be needed for a gallon tester? And how long would be the best to leave it before bottling?

Just dry hop it all :D

I'm sitting with a pint of my wherry, and was just thinking. 'I wish it had a little more hop aroma and flavor on the finish. I can see another wherry going on shortly with some dry hops, (or a hop tea, how are these different?)

hi Bluezephyr ...
i agree with antony... :thumb:
id do the lot not just a gallon...

in fact im getting a goldings Finishing Hops Pellets teabag to put in my woodfordes...
cus i put that dam sugar in .....im so brain dead some times .. :doh: .
so i hope this will help it out a bit iv read its good for strong bitters and such so it should be ok ...
this brew will defo be put back for christmas ... ;) .

and if it comes out better than normal...
ill always put a 1kg bag of brewing sugar in it... :thumb:

iv just this minet orderd it so when it gets here ...
ill bung it in a mug of boiling water for i think its about 10 minets ...
then cool it down and then add it to the brew .. :thumb: .

regards mick... :hat:

Latest posts

Back