WOODFORDE'S WHERRY - I ADDED SUGAR! Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckyousuck

Reaction score
Just added 1 KG of SUGAR to 20 litres of Woodforde's Wherry wort ------ help !!!!!

After doing this I noticed this beer kit does NOT need added sugar. What a plonker.......

Is it okay to proceed or, do I need to bin the lot?

I feel such an idiot. :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

its gonna be strong, did you take an OG reading?

wouldn't bin it though.

NEVER bin homebrew unless it's completely undrinkable. As sdt says it will be stonger but the sugar will also dry the beer out and give it less body and mouthfeel. It wont be undrinkable by any stretch of the the imagination

Thanks for all the valued advice. I presume the excess sugar might possibly be eaten up by the yeast? Will expect turbo bubbles and lots of froth.

I do feel bit silly. I really should read the instructions before proceeding.

Thanks lads .
Neil
Sussex

I'd just give it plenty extra fermentation time, wait for your consecutive end readings as normal and proceed. Like mentioned above, expect it to be stronger!

Brewed to 23 litres Wherry kit
- without sugar 3.75% ABV approx
- with 1 kg table sugar 5.4% ABV approx
Unless, of course, it sticks at 1.020 :doh:

Terry's right Duck....! Wherry without any additions is one of the weaker kits anyway. If it does stick at 1.020 (...and it possibly will...) put some more yeast in (re-hydrated). Wilco's ale yeast is good. :thumb:

It started bubbling away furiously within 12 hours of putting it in FV! Lots of activity for sure.

I'll update this thread as I go along culminating in a final taste test in 5 weeks or so.

This is my second Woodfordes Wherry. The first one was excellent although I did NOT add any additional sugar.

So far in 2 months I have produced the following all from simple kits:

1. Wilko Velvet Stout
2. Indian Pale Ale (IPA)
3. Woodfordes Wherry (1st batch)
4. John Bull Mild
5. Cider (Brewbuddy)
6. Woodefords Wherry LATEST BATCH WITH SUGAR ADDED!

Most of the above is stored in my very cold garage clearing in plastic PET bottles.

My only concern is the IPA which has small bits of hops floating in bottles and the Cider which tasted very watery and weak when I tasted it after primary. The cider has cleared well but I'm worried it's too clear too quickly?

It's going to be a pleasant Christmas. Actually I'm not a huge drinker myself, I'm doing it mainly to hand out free beer to family and friends. Nice to produce something which is appreciated by everyone.

I am grateful for ALL your input here.

Any ideas on the IPA and Cider?

Latest posts

Back