WOW - finally lost my virginity!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just back from a trip to Germany, bottle of Hansa Export beer next to me and watching my first ever batch of WOW bubbling away.

Used the standard recipe, 1 L OJ, 1 L Grape Juice, 1.5 lbs sugar, plus Tannin, Nutrient, Glycerine and Pectolase. Yeast deployed is Young Super Wine Yeast (good value at about £2 for a small bottle). Airlock got busy after about 20 minutes, I would call this Turbo WOW.

SG was 1.086 so this should end up at around 10/11%.
I will wait patiently ....

Congrats on the brew hope it turns out well :) I'm starting my first WoW style wine this weekend, just can't decidevwhat type.

Cheers

Marrsy

I gotta ask this, its killing me a little inside... Whats WOW? Im a complete newbie and I see everyones having a go. The recipe seems straightforward, did you make up to 5L with water? And can you use tea as tannin?

WelshJohn said:
I gotta ask this, its killing me a little inside... Whats WOW?
Wurzel's Orange Wine

You can also make other juice wines to the same method, but always using one grape juice + one other, e.g. white grape & pineapple or red grape & cranberry.

WelshJohn said:
did you make up to 5L with water? And can you use tea as tannin?

Yes, with the sugar dissolved in hot water, add juice and a pint of cold water then the sugar water to bring down the temperature. A cup of strong tea is recommended but I have never used that, just Youngs Tannin. Maybe I'll try tea next. Good luck.

:cheers: CONGRATS :cheers:
Once you go WOW you never go back lol
For anyone thinking of making this i would always suggest the original WOW to start with, I made one about 5-6 weeks ago and have drunk 2 of the 5 bottles its that damn good so after experimenting with a few variants i have now stuck on 2 gallons of wow to keep me going lol where else can you get 10 bottles of nice wine for less than 4 quid ?????
Oh and yes it ferments like a rocket so keep it in a tray or as i do loose in a plastic bag so that when its blown thru the airlock it dont go all over the floor
Jase :drink:

I must have made a good fifty, sixty bottles of WOW so far and not one of them actually with orange juice. I'll have to get round to that one day...

[quote="jasea3632
Oh and yes it ferments like a rocket so keep it in a tray or as i do loose in a plastic bag so that when its blown thru the airlock it dont go all over the floor
Jase :drink:[/quote]

I use a big round washing up bowl which takes DJs and small buckets (place in kitchen corner). The 5 Gal vessels I put in a place where leaks wouldn't do much damage.

I'd just go original peapod and i'll guarantee within 2 months you'll be drinking it,
I've done a rgj and blueberry one and a pineapple one but after tasting the original at only 1 and a bit months i've drunk 2 bottles already so i scrapped plans for more experiments and did 2 more gallons to get a stock going

Today topped up to the 1 Gal level - activity a bit slower now and no risk of a blow out now (started Monday eve).
Fair amount of sediment but this will settle I expect.
DSC_4316.jpg

klaus said:
Used the standard recipe, 1 L OJ, 1 L Grape Juice, 1.5 lbs sugar, plus Tannin, Nutrient, Glycerine and Pectolase. Yeast deployed is Young Super Wine Yeast (good value at about £2 for a small bottle). Airlock got busy after about 20 minutes, I would call this Turbo WOW.

I started my first WOW just 24 hours ago. I followed Moley's recipe except I made the mistake of using too much water to dilute the sugar, so I've been forced to hold back the litre of white grape juice to top-up later. Even without the grape, I'm getting one bubble every two seconds. :wha: .... it must be the tea.

jasea3632 said:
Jase :drink:

Or don't top it up to 1gal until you're sure it isn't going to overbubble!

Since last Tuesday, WOW activity has virtually ceased with a bubble every minute.
The FG reading was approx. 0.996, a drop of 90 from the OG which gives about 12%.
Quite pleased with that and the taste is already good but will definitely improve over time.
So 1 CT for now and in a couple of days (when I have the time) first rack and stabilising.

Yesterday bottled the Youngs medium white, 5.5 bottles. Today noticed one of them leaking
just a titch so whipped out the cork and inserted a fresh one.

Next brew will be the Christmas Beer from Brewferm - can is waiting on the shelve.

All in all a fairly smooth return to the craft after a few years absence - also still have four bottles of wine dating back to 2003, three Vermouth and one unlabeled. Very confident all these are quite drinkable.

On Friday, racked and stabilised my first WOW. Clearing nicely since then. I am in two minds whether I should use finings or filter. Unearthed my old Brewmaker wine filter with a set of spare Harris filter pads so might just wait another week or two and then try filtering.
I also drained the dreggs into a small Coke bottle (loads of sediment) but it had settled by today and and had a large glass with my dinner - I must say I am impressed, very good taste, acidiy, and good mouth-feel (glycerin!).
Once my Christmas Beer is bottled (in about 10 days) I'll start another WOW straight away (same recipe just to up stocks). I am a bit stretched for space so I am only doing small quantities .....
Suppose this is the conclusion to this thread. Once I get more adventurous I'll let yo know.
Thanks for all comments and encouragement.

Latest posts

Back