WoW - No yeast nutrient

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SloeBrewer

Regular.
Reaction score
Going to attempt my first WoW this week, although slight issue with my ingredients in that I could only get Red grape juice, not white, although that's not really a problem, don't mind it's it's a bit pink. However, I have no yeast nutrient, can't drive at the moment as I'm recovering from surgery, so can't get to LHBS, and our wilko is rubbish when it comes to HB gear.

Is yeast nutrient vital? Can I rehydrate the yeast with a little warm water and sugar instead? Anything else I can add to give the yeast a boost?

tomato puree or marmite can be used but dont know if the taste will affect the wine? you can order from wilkinsons online and they'll deliver to your local store within a couple of days and you can collect it there at no extra charge. :thumb:

Nutrient isn't vital for a WOW.

What yeast are you using? If it's a yeast compound it might already contain nutrients.

I can't comment on tomato puree as I've never used it, from my one attempt at the tomato challenge I've concluded that they have no part to play in wine making.

You can indeed use Marmite to give those yeasties some B vitamins, but just a quarter teaspoonful to the gallon, dissolved in half a cup of boiling water.

The yeast is: "Vin Classe Super wine yeast compound" by Ballihoo

Looking at the ingredients, it seems it may have some nutrient after all, which I hadn't noticed before:
Bentonite, Dried wine yeast, Diammonium Phosphate, trace vitamins, trace minerals.

I put on a WOW recently with no nutrient and it certainly hasn't slowed it down, it's bubbling away like a mad thing.

SloeBrewer said:
The yeast is: "Vin Classe Super wine yeast compound" by Ballihoo

Looking at the ingredients, it seems it may have some nutrient after all, which I hadn't noticed before:
Bentonite, Dried wine yeast, Diammonium Phosphate, trace vitamins, trace minerals.

You have everything you need. No extra nutrients are needed. :thumb:

Epsom salts or Andrews liver salts work really well. I done the red grape juice version here as i cant get white. It turns out a golden colour - no red in it. :thumb:

Just set this going, looks pretty disgusting at the moment, but looking forward to seeing how it develops over time!

I just chucked the pectolase in, then afterwards saw that the instructions say to dissolve in some warm water. Oops. Hopefully it all dissolved OK, as I gave it a jolly good shake.

ype5upat.jpg

I just chuck my Pectolase in and give a shake, never dissolve it in water and never has a problem :thumb:

Latest posts

Back