WOW orange and apple

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pimping

Reaction score
1 litre of Tesco fresh orange juice
1 litre of Tesco apple juice
1kg of sugar
~2.5 litres of water to fill demi John

I've jumped into this a little quick and am now wondering will this taste awful?

If you have filled the DJ you might want to get a tray to put under it see the lava lamp orange wine effect in video 2 here (at 1:22 & 2:12) - HERE.

Orange n apple is one of my favorites.
It should taste at least as good as mid-priced supermarket wine
Even after "only" a few weeks aging.

Personally i use just juice
The only water added is the small amount used in making the sugar syrup.( The reason i make syrup is granulated sugar is a pain to disolve in cold juice.).
As the LAST thing i want to do is heat the juice and end up "cooking" it.
Its also a good idea to leave a bit of headspace in the demijohn to allow for foaming.I allow about 1ltr of headspace at the start.
EC 1118 will ferment these juices with amazing vigour ( Its my favourite )
With the amount of sugar you have used your wine will finish quite strong and dry.

The above is just how i do things you will find what works for you.Good luck.!!

Orange n apple is one of my favorites.
It should taste at least as good as mid-priced supermarket wine
Even after "only" a few weeks aging.

Personally i use just juice
The only water added is the small amount used in making the sugar syrup.( The reason i make syrup is granulated sugar is a pain to disolve in cold juice.).
As the LAST thing i want to do is heat the juice and end up "cooking" it.
Its also a good idea to leave a bit of headspace in the demijohn to allow for foaming.I allow about 1ltr of headspace at the start.
EC 1118 will ferment these juices with amazing vigour ( Its my favourite )
With the amount of sugar you have used your wine will finish quite strong and dry.

The above is just how i do things you will find what works for you.Good luck.!!
Thanks this really helps. Just racked it and it smells delicious and very strong!

Sounds like a nice easy recipe. Let us know how it tastes as I might give that one a go too if it works out.

It fermented really fast and furiously. I read lanes have a great nutrition profile for fermenting so maybe that was why it was so quick. Banana wine and red grape powder wine never took off as quick or powered through like this.

Smells a bit off putting at first but noticed after being in the glass and allowed to air the smell subsides. Definitely whiffs of strong booze!

Wasn't a lot of foam at the top (pineapple & apple next and I've read pineapple foams like crazy so a bit worried).

No need to use just juice it's not watery or thin at all. Really surprised.

Tastes really strong and zesty.

Only downside is I'm not good with acidic foods due to stomach ulcers/gastritis and this was too much for me. Really sad about this but knew it was a gamble. Neighbor is delirious about it all appearing at the bottom of his drive!

If anybody has any advice on the apple & pineapple wow that would be great. Same as before 1kg sugar, ec1118, tomato puree, 1 gallon demi john. I'm aiming for a white wine maybe?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back