Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've washed and saved some S-04 but want a good ESB that will be similar enough to Old Speckled Hen. I'm also wanting to brew up a British IPA and barleywine, as well as a stout, including outmeal, and porter, and may well make a northern brown and dark mild.

I'm uncertain as to what styles S-04 would be well suited to but figure the stout and porter ought to be good. The 1275 doesn't list the other beers I'm interested in though, and so I'm wondering if I S-04 or 1275 would do well enough or if I should choose a different yeast for ESBs.

What say you fellas?

I've never used WY1275 but as your doing an English Bitter so you want as traditional English strain, something characterful and possibly estery. S-04 will do the job for you but I'd go for the WY1275 as S-04 doesn't leave enough maltyness and body for my liking in a Bitter

Edit: Just checked the MrMalty yeast chart and that supposed to be the brakspear strain. They make some nice beers. I cultured the brakspear strain up from a bottle of brakspear triple once but it gave off a lot of sulphur during fermentation so I only used it twice before MrsMQ but the block on that

Not used the Thames valley yeast for around 15 years but from what I remember it was a decent yeast. Would rather have my toe nails pulled off than ever use SO4 again.

I've only used the S-04 for an ESB and have been completely let down, which is funny as a few guys here claim they love their ESB with it. And not that it's so terrible I'd dump it, as I find it goes well with a cigar, but unsweetened tea just isn't my thing.

I think it would work well with a strong flavored backbone like a stout and maybe a barleywine.

I've also considered mixing 1275 and S-04 if I'm not happy with 1275 alone (beers other than ESB). Never know...

My bigger issue is using the yeast again within the time frame (2-3 months). Most of the beers I brew are American styles so I'm not sure I can keep too many strains going for styles I don't brew often enough, and Mail ordering I won't buy liquids often as the weather can't be good for it.

I've only used the S-04 for an ESB and have been completely let down, which is funny as a few guys here claim they love their ESB with it. And not that it's so terrible I'd dump it, as I find it goes well with a cigar, but unsweetened tea just isn't my thing.

I think it would work well with a strong flavored backbone like a stout and maybe a barleywine.

I've also considered mixing 1275 and S-04 if I'm not happy with 1275 alone (beers other than ESB). Never know...

My bigger issue is using the yeast again within the time frame (2-3 months). Most of the beers I brew are American styles so I'm not sure I can keep too many strains going for styles I don't brew often enough, and Mail ordering I won't buy liquids often as the weather can't be good for it.

I've used wyeast London ale iii which produced some nice beers. My landlord style bitter (which is nothing like landlord) has picked up an interesting liquorice flavour, a bit like doom bar has, which given the simplicity of the hop and grain bill, I'm putting down in some part to the yeast.

You dont have to keep a strain you dont use very often in the fridge. I dont. What I've started to do is make a 2L starter and split it into 4x500ml bottle which I then keep at room temp with the rest of my bottled beer. Then when I want to use the yeast I use two of the bottle and put it into some more starter to then pitch. Depending on how long Ive kept the 4 splits I might do 1 or two step ups

You dont even need to do this if your strain is one you use rarely. Just keep a couple of your bottles of beer (if you bottle of course) as 'harvesting bottles' and bottle culture up the strain from the thin layer of yeast at the bottom of your harvesting bottles. I 've also done this before

I've used wyeast London ale iii which produced some nice beers. My landlord style bitter (which is nothing like landlord) has picked up an interesting liquorice flavour, a bit like doom bar has, which given the simplicity of the hop and grain bill, I'm putting down in some part to the yeast.

I agree with Gareth. London III is my yeast for Porters and the like. A great yeast. Works hard. Cleans up well. And leaves a lovely malty and ester profile. You just can't go wrong with it in my book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back