Wyeast 1968 alternative

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocAnna

Queen's Knot Brewing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't find Wyeast 1968 anywhere, which is annoying as I'd like to make a 2022 batch of my Winter Wassail and this is the yeast I've used the last couple of times. I'm happy to vary the hops and malts, but the yeast character this gives is pure hobnob biscuits, which I'm keen not to lose. There are a few alternatives I'm thinking of. There's the super value The Firm from CML, the middle of the road Lallemand London ale or the higher cost WLP002 English ale yeasts. I'm a bit of a fan of the Omega yeasts, but their OYL-007 and my preferred one OYL-016 are also out of stock from what I can find.

So a) What is it with the yeast shortage???
and b) Do I chance it with the not quite what I would like WLP002?
or c) I'm fussing too much about yeast and should just go with the CML dry yeast??

As an aside, the supplier I tend to order from on the internet is whichever I can find the most sought ingredient, finding yeasts is a real pain but after my experiments in split batches with different yeasts, I'm really considering whether it's worth doing a brew if I can't find the yeast I'm looking for ☹️ - ok I'm a high maintenance fusspot, I know.

A

So a) What is it with the yeast shortage???
White Labs are in the middle of switching from the old plastic packs (as opposed to the old, old tubes) to bigger plastic packs with "bottle lids", which I imagine is very disruptive, so that may be part of it. Dunno about the others, fear of post strikes etc may be a factor? In general I find myself getting the weirder yeasts from BrewUK and Malt Miller (and formerly Brewstore, RIP).

Is this any different than Fullers other yeasts?
I think all that can be said is that almost none of the US homebrew labs produce a "London" yeast that has the marmalade character that is so typical of the actual Fuller's yeast. Imperial Pub is apparently the only one that does (I've not used it) which suggests it's the only one that should be regarded as "from Fullers" regardless of what other labs or random websites claim.

I've not done the side by side by I understand from those that have, that WLP002 and 1968 are pretty close tastewise. Genetically they're just run of the mill Whitbread yeasts very closely related to WLP007 (aka WHC Bond), there's nothing very special to them and personally I find them a bit boring when there's so many better yeasts around.

The Windsor group of yeasts are completely unrelated to WLP002/1968 and for one thing have completely different flocculation but also taste somewhat different. Lallemand London is a close relative of Windsor, and one assumes that CML Firm is just repacked Windsor. If you're looking at dry yeasts then S-04, Notty and BE-256 are much closer relatives of WLP002/1968, and perhaps a 2:1 blend of S-04 and Notty would be the closest dry match to 1968? Something in that area anyway.

So if you're really fussy about replicating 1968 then you can use WLP002 interchangeably (or if you catch the super-rare WLP033 vault strain allegedly from Young's, that's meant to be a slightly more interesting take on the same theme and obviously appropriate for a winter warmer). And WLP007/Bond will probably get you pretty close. Another close relative in the Whitbread group that I think is rather underrated is WLP041 Pacific, allegedly originating at Gale's. It's not flashy but it just works and makes beer that you just want to keep drinking.

Or of course you could harvest from a bottle of Fuller's 1845 or Young's Special....

White Labs are in the middle of switching from the old plastic packs (as opposed to the old, old tubes) to bigger plastic packs with "bottle lids", which I imagine is very disruptive, so that may be part of it. Dunno about the others, fear of post strikes etc may be a factor? In general I find myself getting the weirder yeasts from BrewUK and Malt Miller (and formerly Brewstore, RIP).

I think all that can be said is that almost none of the US homebrew labs produce a "London" yeast that has the marmalade character that is so typical of the actual Fuller's yeast. Imperial Pub is apparently the only one that does (I've not used it) which suggests it's the only one that should be regarded as "from Fullers" regardless of what other labs or random websites claim.

I've not done the side by side by I understand from those that have, that WLP002 and 1968 are pretty close tastewise. Genetically they're just run of the mill Whitbread yeasts very closely related to WLP007 (aka WHC Bond), there's nothing very special to them and personally I find them a bit boring when there's so many better yeasts around.

The Windsor group of yeasts are completely unrelated to WLP002/1968 and for one thing have completely different flocculation but also taste somewhat different. Lallemand London is a close relative of Windsor, and one assumes that CML Firm is just repacked Windsor. If you're looking at dry yeasts then S-04, Notty and BE-256 are much closer relatives of WLP002/1968, and perhaps a 2:1 blend of S-04 and Notty would be the closest dry match to 1968? Something in that area anyway.

So if you're really fussy about replicating 1968 then you can use WLP002 interchangeably (or if you catch the super-rare WLP033 vault strain allegedly from Young's, that's meant to be a slightly more interesting take on the same theme and obviously appropriate for a winter warmer). And WLP007/Bond will probably get you pretty close. Another close relative in the Whitbread group that I think is rather underrated is WLP041 Pacific, allegedly originating at Gale's. It's not flashy but it just works and makes beer that you just want to keep drinking.

Or of course you could harvest from a bottle of Fuller's 1845 or Young's Special....
Thanks for this, I have tried a few versions of the so called Fullers yeast and have not been very happy with them, 002 and propogates version. I will give Imperial pub a shot when I get over to my backup homebrew shop later this month.

Wow, that's brilliant detail. Personally I've found the 1968 to give a really good hobnob or gingerbread flavour that I've not found with the more neutral yeasts. I have found some for this time but I've bookmarked your post for future reference and brews 😍.

Latest posts

Back