X could go behind a paywall.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If he does this it will be the end of twitter (X) i use it far more than Facebook but not enough to pay to use it if this happens i will drop it like a hot potato.

Elon Musk has suggested that all users of X, formerly called Twitter, may have to pay for access to the platform.
In a conversation with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the billionaire said a payment system was the only way to counter bots.
"We're moving to having a small monthly payment for use of the system," the Tesla and SpaceX boss said.
The BBC approached X for further details but has not yet received a statement from the company.
It is unclear whether this was just an off-the-cuff comment, or a signal of firmer plans that have yet to be announced.
Mr Musk has long said that his solution for getting rid of bots and fake accounts on the social media platform is charging for verification.
Since taking over Twitter last year he has looked to incentivise users to pay for an enhanced service, which is now called X Premium.
This has been done by giving paid subscribers more features, like longer posts and increased visibility on the platform.
However, users can currently still use X for free.
Although there is a clear financial interest for the company to charge users, Mr Musk insisted that getting people to pay for the service is aimed at tackling bots.
"A bot costs a fraction of a penny" to make he said. "But if somebody even has to pay a few dollars or something, some minor amount, the effective cost to bots is very high".
X Premium currently costs $8 (£6.50) a month in the US. The price differs depending on which country a subscriber is in.
The world's richest person said that he was now looking at cheaper options for users.
"We're actually going to come up with a lower tier pricing. So we just want it to be just a small amount of money," he said.
"This is a longer discussion, but in my view, this is actually the only defence against vast armies of bots," Mr Musk added.
However, a risk is that by putting X behind a paywall it may lose a large chunk of its users. That in turn, could drive down advertising revenue, which currently accounts for the vast majority of the company's income.
Mr Musk's conversation with the Israeli prime minister also touched on antisemitism on X.
The platform has been accused by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) campaign group of not doing enough to stop antisemitic content.
In a statement, the organisation said that Mr Musk was "engaging with and elevating" antisemites.
Earlier this month, he said that the company would sue the ADL to "clear our platform's name".
In the conversation with Mr Netanyahu, Mr Musk reiterated that he was "against antisemitism".
Mr Netanyahu accepted the balance between free speech and content moderation was a challenge but urged Mr Musk to get the balance right.
"I hope you find within the confines of the First Amendment, the ability to stop not only antisemitism... but any collective hatred of people that antisemitism represents," he said.
"I know you're committed to that", Mr Netanyahu added.

BBC News

My primary use of Twitter is when online banking (or some other service) seems to be down to see if they have posted a tweet confirming what has happened. And that’s about it, suffice it to say not something I would be willing to pay for. And I doubt I am alone in this.

My primary use of Twitter is when online banking (or some other service) seems to be down to see if they have posted a tweet confirming what has happened. And that’s about it, suffice it to say not something I would be willing to pay for. And I doubt I am alone in this.
I use it mainly for up to date football news and road reports i could probably use something else but am lazy :D

Meh, no big loss.

I don't understand how these companies are worth so much, when the product is relatively simple & valuation seems a combination of number of users, banalness of content and stock market gambling on next big thing.

Why do people use social media?

It’s toxic and just makes the rich richer.

It can be if you dont set it up right, i only follow people or organisations that are useful i block the dross that is on there.

Why do people use social media?

It’s toxic and just makes the rich richer.
This is why we still have Cons and Labour, a couple of years ago on holiday swmbo and i were in a bar on a holiday camp a couple came in looked in there 40s he got drinks and they sat at one of those high tables she got her tablet out him is phone the only words spoken was when he went to the bar they never even looked at each other for 2 hours, my misses was like wtf god help us if the system breaks

Never a truer word spoken.

I don't use any social media, seems like saying you don't breathe oxygen to most folks, it's probably the biggest cause of human misery since the plague.
Forums are considered by many as a social media platform, it shares many of the traits and can create echo chambers.

Forums are considered by many as a social media platform, it shares many of the traits and can create echo chambers.
The main difference foe me between social media and forums is if you report something that breaks the rules to a forum admin/moderator it will be removed quickly i have found the opposite especially on X (Twitter)

I could see how a forum dedicated to a football team could become an echo chamber but i dont think this has this problem take the 30 minute boil thread as an example. :D

Online echo chambers​

Echo chambers can happen anywhere information is exchanged, whether it’s online or in real life. But on the Internet, almost anyone can quickly find like-minded people and perspectives via social media and countless news sources. This has made echo chambers far more numerous and easy to fall into.

Last edited:
I had considered that argument but I think a place such as this is more of a brewing Q&A with a sociable aspect rather than truly being 'social media' per se.

I use YouTube solely to watch videos, it's pretty much accepted nowadays that they are social media but I still wouldn't consider myself a social media user.

Splitting hairs perhaps, but how far does the definition really go? Should we consider any form of electronic communication to be social media? Email for instance?

I'm probably just being pedantic, but I'd sooner drag myself over a mile of hot coals and broken glass then bathe in Tabasco than be associated with the likes of Facebook or Tiktok, you'll not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I'm probably just being pedantic, but I'd sooner drag myself over a mile of hot coals and broken glass then bathe in Tabasco than be associated with the likes of Facebook or Tiktok, you'll not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
I wouldn't say pedantic i would say spot on.

Never been on 4chan then?

Never been on 4chan then?
I'm sort of vaguely aware of it, couldn't really say what it's all about.

I have however seen relationships torn asunder, families broken apart and long term friendships ended because of Facebook.

I suppose you could say that social media just facilitates the darker aspects of human nature and creates a platform to normalize abhorrent behaviour normally held in check by social compliance.

But I understand there's an awful lot of pictures of cats there, I'm in support of that 😄

I'm sort of vaguely aware of it, couldn't really say what it's all about.

I have however seen relationships torn asunder, families broken apart and long term friendships ended because of Facebook.

I suppose you could say that social media just facilitates the darker aspects of human nature and creates a platform to normalize abhorrent behaviour normally held in check by social compliance.

But I understand there's an awful lot of pictures of cats there, I'm in support of that 😄
Social media has a lot of good points. My elderly mother keeps in touch with her family around the world on it.

I teach young adults with support needs and they interact with their peers on discord.
I have several trans gender students who support each other on discord.

Facebook has several homebrewing groups with moderators who police whats on it.

I would classify forums as a social media platform and I have seen some behaviour on this forum that is problematic.

Back