Yeast recovery advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a whole mythology grown up around home brewing and it's hard, sometimes, to know what's right and what's wrong. For example, there was a thread on this forum (I think) about yeast starters. The premise of the argument was that you must use malt extract rather than table sugar to make a starter otherwise the yeast will "forget" how to assimilate maltose. And yet I recall the days when we could harvest yeast from Guinness and Spitfire and the method way to put some sugar in boiled but still warm water and pour it into the bottle over the dregs. It worked- the beer into which it was pitched fermented!
Now, I prime my bottles with table sugar so what's the difference? Even though I now make up my starters with LMS.
Other myths are about the necessity to boil for at least 90 minutes; that the wort should be crystal clear before it goes into the kettle- BIAB knocked that one on the head; that the beer should never be stirred widdershins when the moon is waning, etc, etc.

Latest posts

Back