YeastFace Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a Munich Helles today. Second attempt at the style. Was very happy with the first, but made a few refinements based on feedback from some swaps.

OG - 1.047
FG - 1.010
ABV - 4.9%
IBU - 19
EBC - 7.3

Grist was 89% Pils and 11% Light Munich.

Mash was a hochkurz with a decoction between alpha and mash out. I bought some gauntlets for this as previously doing it bare handed was not wise.

Target PH was 5.3, I got 5.4. I always find that Brewfather seems to underestimate the amount of lactic acid needed, so will trial adding 0.5-1ml on top of their recommendation and see how I fare.

75 minute boil.

Hop-wise, looks a bit too busy but there is thought behind it. I added 10g Strisselspalt leaf at FWH (to encourage foam), 8g Magnum at 60 mins, 20g Tettnanger at 30 mins, and 20g Hersbrucker at 10 mins.

Yeast is 2 packs German X Lager in a 1.2l starter.

Hit my numbers spot on.

Will ferment at 12° for 10 days, then spund and increase for a diacetyl rest, then do a slow cooling to 2.5° to lager.

Will be reusing the yeast in a Pils.

Not many pictures today.

View attachment 97106

View attachment 97107

View attachment 97105

You're right, the hop schedule does look busy. I am no means an expert (only made one once) but I thought it was supposed to be 'stripped back'. As you say, though, you have a plan.

Hops is the area where I think I struggle most, particularly when there are more than two, can't get my head around how they work together (wish there was an equation :laugh8:).

I think there is a book about Helles which I nearly pressed the button on a while back. Think I'll take the plunge.

I'd be interested to know how it turns out as I am planning a second attempt.

Thinking was -

Strisselspalt leaf for foam formation and retention (I have no other leaf).

Magnum for a smoother bittering.

Tettnang and Hersbrucker - I like both and last one was single hop so why not.

A small batch Irish Extra Stout this morning.

Bit of a user upper and test batch at 10.5l for a baby corny. My previous couple of attempts at this style haven't worked, so here's hoping third time lucky.

Had a bit of an issue with mash PH (Brewfather never seems to predict this correctly), but hopefully remedied in time.

Dark grains added in at mash out. Worked well in my last dry stout so continued here.

OG was a bit lower than expected. I always get lower efficiency with small batches, and always forget to adjust the recipe. Should still hit 5.3-5.5% which was the aim.

Not sure whether this will go on Co2 or mixed gas. Probably the latter as have nothing else on it atm.

All done in the fermenter with CML Five (have Beòir but wanted a bit more attenuation to help with the finish and don't think it needs any esters).

You're right, the hop schedule does look busy. I am no means an expert (only made one once) but I thought it was supposed to be 'stripped back'. As you say, though, you have a plan.

Hops is the area where I think I struggle most, particularly when there are more than two, can't get my head around how they work together (wish there was an equation :laugh8:).

I think there is a book about Helles which I nearly pressed the button on a while back. Think I'll take the plunge.

I'd be interested to know how it turns out as I am planning a second attempt.
You seen the David Heath review of the Hop Control web programme..I made use of the 30% discount . It's similar to the hop comparison on beer maverick website but has more info I think..only £12 with discount for the year.. something else to playing around with 😋

Harvested some Andechs yeast from the Helles I kegged today. Wasn't sure if I'd done it properly so bought some WHC Einstein from CML (hats off, they posted today as I begged for), but the starter seems to be doing fine

1000068018.jpg

Spelt Pilsner brewed yesterday. Had help with the brew, but didn't start until gone 12 so was a bit of a slog in all honesty. Glad I decided against a decoction as that would have sucked all fun out of the day.

Had to extend boil as pre-boil volume was higher than it should have been. Was 1 point under on pre-boil and just got there for OG.

Hoping for a nice foamy bitter lager, but we will see.

Spelt Pilsner brewed yesterday. Had help with the brew, but didn't start until gone 12 so was a bit of a slog in all honesty. Glad I decided against a decoction as that would have sucked all fun out of the day.

Had to extend boil as pre-boil volume was higher than it should have been. Was 1 point under on pre-boil and just got there for OG.

Hoping for a nice foamy bitter lager, but we will see.
How much spelt did you use in this one and what hops?

How much spelt did you use in this one and what hops?
500g which was ~11%. Not sure it's enough to have much flavour impact, but should be foam positive.

Some Strisselspalt leaf FWH for foam, Magnum, then Spalter Select for flavour and aroma.

Next 2 lagers will be all British ingredients though (if I can get something like Carafa Special, going to try cold steeping some different roasted malts).

500g which was ~11%. Not sure it's enough to have much flavour impact, but should be foam positive.

Some Strisselspalt leaf FWH for foam, Magnum, then Spalter Select for flavour and aroma.

Next 2 lagers will be all British ingredients though (if I can get something like Carafa Special, going to try cold steeping some different roasted malts).
Sounds good, do like Spalter Select in my Italian pils.
I'm doing another version in a few weeks dry hopped with Spalter and Aurora.

I often top up my orders from TMM with cans and I usually get some of the Uptopia British lagers. Nice. I’d be interested in your recipe.

I

I haven’t tried it but Simpsons black malt is claimed to be “surprisingly neutral”. I’m also interested in using local ingredients.

Spelt Kellerpils is coming along nicely. Had a bit of acetaldehyde at start of week but that has cleared up.

Thinking about brewing schedules as I have ingredients in for 7 brews. Next will be a Fruit Sour which should take up relatively little tank time.

Got some holiday pay after leaving my old job so got a couple of treats. A Bucket Blaster, which I've used today and will be much quicker and less mess than previous method.

Also got a new 19l keg as not brewing many smaller batches to fill the baby kegs atm, so keg capacity is holding up my brewing a bit atm.

Spelt Kellerpils is coming along nicely. Had a bit of acetaldehyde at start of week but that has cleared up.

Thinking about brewing schedules as I have ingredients in for 7 brews. Next will be a Fruit Sour which should take up relatively little tank time.

Got some holiday pay after leaving my old job so got a couple of treats. A Bucket Blaster, which I've used today and will be much quicker and less mess than previous method.

Also got a new 19l keg as not brewing many smaller batches to fill the baby kegs atm, so keg capacity is holding up my brewing a bit atm.
Nice!!

Latest posts

Back