YeastFace Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at the Fermentis site yesterday and spotted their DA-16 bundle for making Brut IPAs. It looks like it is a new product for them but I haven't seen a wave of people brewing Brut IPAs. I've seen that @MickDundee made one a while back but didn't say what it was like (which I'm assuming means he hasn't made another).

They look interesting but they don't seem to have taken off like hazy.

I was looking at the Fermentis site yesterday and spotted their DA-16 bundle for making Brut IPAs. It looks like it is a new product for them but I haven't seen a wave of people brewing Brut IPAs. I've seen that @MickDundee made one a while back but didn't say what it was like (which I'm assuming means he hasn't made another).

They look interesting but they don't seem to have taken off like hazy.
Yeah I made one back in 2019. It was fine, I just couldnā€™t be bothered buying the enzyme again šŸ˜‚

I used some new world NZ hops which probably didnā€™t really help but I got them cheap šŸ˜‚

Yeah I made one back in 2019. It was fine, I just couldnā€™t be bothered buying the enzyme again šŸ˜‚

I used some new world NZ hops which probably didnā€™t really help but I got them cheap šŸ˜‚

I would have thought that a fruity NZ hop would have worked fine. I've looked on the MM site and they do the enzyme and the instructions say optimal temp is 60c. So I'm assuming you'd put the enzyme in while you were chilling the wort after the boil.

I'm imagining it would be a bit like a saison body-wise but without the typical saison flavours.

I would have thought that a fruity NZ hop would have worked fine. I've looked on the MM site and they do the enzyme and the instructions say optimal temp is 60c. So I'm assuming you'd put the enzyme in while you were chilling the wort after the boil.

I'm imagining it would be a bit like a saison body-wise but without the typical saison flavours.
If I remember correctly I put the enzyme in the mash but it was so long ago I might be wrong. Also different manufacturers might have different instructions

Today was Dunkel Brewday. I do try to support British maltsters and hop growers, so the bulk of the ingredients are homegrown.

Core of the Grist is Warminster Floor Malted Munich, topped up with Crisp Light and Dark Munich malts. I wanted to layer the flavours by using different colour grades of Munich.

I ordered my grain kit before I had my decoction pan, so it does include a wee bit of Weyermann Melanoidin. Also couldn't find any dehusked British dark malt, so also has some Weyermann Carafa Special 2.

Hops are Fuggles as first wort addition (suggested by Utopian) and a small dose of Herefordshire Goldings at 15 mins. I'm hoping these will work just as well as German Noble varietals.

Yeast is 2 packs of WHC Einstein. I had intended on using the Andechs strain again, but already had these in so will save my money for that yeast for when I rebrew my Helles.

Brewfather predicted this would be on the low end of the colour range, so I boiled down 1.5l of first runnings to ~500ml before adding this back pre-boil. This meant I had to do a 1l mini sparge to get back to my pre-boil gravity.

1000057918.jpg

Target PH was 5.4, got 5.5 which is close enough. Ended up with 20l at 1.055 so bang on the predictions.

This has gone in Fermzilla to ferment at 10Ā°c. Not fermenting under pressure but will spund towards end of fermentation to get a head start on carbonation.

In a separate room to avoid any chance of cross-contamination I have pitched the dregs of a bottle of Orval into my mixed-ferm saison.

1000057934.jpg

To update on the mixed-ferm saison, the ph has dropped to 3.3. I think this is due to the gewurztraminer grape juice addition.

I have another bottle of Orval to add the dregs of, and some light toast French oak combs to add too. I might soak these in some Gewurztraminer before adding.

May possibly dry hop with some Aramis in a few weeks/months before I bottle (since I can't find any Mistral anywhere).

Had a taste of the sample, it is very winey, which I suppose it to be expected. Not sure there's much saison character tbh, but will reserve judgment on the yeast until I use it in something more straightforward.

Bought a couple of bucket fermenters for my mixed-ferm. One is going to be used as a bottling bucket, but that won't be needed for a while so I have done an Weizenbock (well Doppel Weizenbock or Weizen Doppelbock) with some extract that needed using up. Steeped 125g CaraRed, 75g Special B, and 50g Chocolate malt, and did a hop stand with some MittelfrĆ¼her.

20240113_101553.jpg

Added 2 out of date (May 2023) packets of Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat. Says that has an alcohol tolerance of 7.5% so may need to add something like Nottingham to finish it off.

10l at an OG of 1.100 šŸ˜³ With a predicted FG of 1.027 and abv of 9.6%!

1000058280.jpg

Also cleaned and trimmed my keg lines (were far too long, hadn't realised my 3/16" lines are only 3mm ID), and did a bit of bottling.

Sadly I hadn't tightened one ot the John Guest fittings up so had about a litre spillage in the bottom.

Some updates:

Dunkel - Is ~75% done, so am starting to spund at 7.5 psi and increase temp 1Ā° per day. Will increase spund to 10psi before diacetyl rest complete and then cool gradually.

Doppel Weizenbock - M21 seemed to stop at 1.037, which was only 61% attenuation but at 8.3% was above the alcohol tolerance of the yeast. Have added a pack of CML Belgian which should bring it down further and shares the clove phenols and banana esters with Weizen yeasts.

Mixed ferm - Will be adding the dregs of another bottle of Orval this weekend. Have started soaking the french oak combs in 500ml Gewurztraminer. Will leave this for about 3 weeks before adding to the fermenter.

Just taking a gravity sample. It's amazing how the aroma developed. At first it was very clovey, which isn't my preference, now the banana esters are at the fore. Not sure if that's due to the addition of CML Belgian or not.

Gravity is only down a point.

Hazy pale coming along nicely. Has reached FG so am going to reduce temp to avoid any hop creep during the second dry hop. I did mean to do a dose of ALDC with hops, but forgot.

Should be ready to keg Wednesday, although will need to empty another keg first šŸ¤” Will have to do some bottling tomorrow night

1000064273.jpg

Hazy pale coming along nicely. Has reached FG so am going to reduce temp to avoid any hop creep during the second dry hop. I did mean to do a dose of ALDC with hops, but forgot.

Should be ready to keg Wednesday, although will need to empty another keg first šŸ¤” Will have to do some bottling tomorrow night

View attachment 96440
Nice colour šŸ‘ŒšŸ¼

Trying to free up a keg for the hazy pale so bottled 14 bottles of dunkel before work this morning (not all shown here, the others were different design bottles and I like symmetry). Should be able to finish the keg off tomorrow.

1000064657.jpg

Brewed a Munich Helles today. Second attempt at the style. Was very happy with the first, but made a few refinements based on feedback from some swaps.

OG - 1.047
FG - 1.010
ABV - 4.9%
IBU - 19
EBC - 7.3

Grist was 89% Pils and 11% Light Munich.

Mash was a hochkurz with a decoction between alpha and mash out. I bought some gauntlets for this as previously doing it bare handed was not wise.

Target PH was 5.3, I got 5.4. I always find that Brewfather seems to underestimate the amount of lactic acid needed, so will trial adding 0.5-1ml on top of their recommendation and see how I fare.

75 minute boil.

Hop-wise, looks a bit too busy but there is thought behind it. I added 10g Strisselspalt leaf at FWH (to encourage foam), 8g Magnum at 60 mins, 20g Tettnanger at 30 mins, and 20g Hersbrucker at 10 mins.

Yeast is 2 packs German X Lager in a 1.2l starter.

Hit my numbers spot on.

Will ferment at 12Ā° for 10 days, then spund and increase for a diacetyl rest, then do a slow cooling to 2.5Ā° to lager.

Will be reusing the yeast in a Pils.

Not many pictures today.

1000065820.jpg

1000065821.jpg

1000065845.jpg

Back