Yeasty beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

West wind

Reaction score
A Simply Brown Ale kit made with brewing sugar, DME and the supplied yeast.

OG = 1.045
FG = 1.005

Good fermentation and stable SG so primed and bottled after 20 days in FV.

Fast forward three weeks and I opened a bottle today and it tastes like liquid Mothers Pride.

Could the culprit be the priming sugar? I only had brown sugar or spray malt at hand so used the brown sugar. 85 grams in 22 liters batch primed.

I prefer light carbonation and it's just about right but there's still a lot of yeast in suspension. Am I right to think the best option now is to put it somewhere cool and forget about it? Or maybe turn the bottles and raise the temps a bit. It's been conditioning at 18 - 19 degrees for three weeks.

I wouldn't expect there to be a lot of yeast in suspension after 3 weeks. Are you sure what you're tasting is yeast? Are you pouring carefully, leaving the sediment in the bottle?
The only effect of using brown sugar for priming is that you might get a little brown sugar flavour in the finished beer, that's it really. I have very little experience with kit beers, but I understand they can take a bit of time to condition so maybe it just needs another few weeks to come good.

Sounds to me like it may be still conditioning, although it should have at the temp you said. As you have said I would re condition for at least a further week at a slightly higher temp and see if it improves

I wouldn't expect there to be a lot of yeast in suspension after 3 weeks. Are you sure what you're tasting is yeast? Are you pouring carefully, leaving the sediment in the bottle?
The only effect of using brown sugar for priming is that you might get a little brown sugar flavour in the finished beer, that's it really. I have very little experience with kit beers, but I understand they can take a bit of time to condition so maybe it just needs another few weeks to come good.

Sounds to me like it may be still conditioning, although it should have at the temp you said. As you have said I would re condition for at least a further week at a slightly higher temp and see if it improves

I'm pretty sure it's yeast and I'm pouring very carefully. The intensity varies from bottle to bottle so it probably needs more time with being a dark ale. I moved it to a cooler area a couple of days ago and it's getting clearer. I'll give it a week or two and test another bottle.

Thanks for your opinions.

Latest posts

Back