Your favorite kit/dry-hop combo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TitanicStruggle

Reaction score
As a lazy brewer I only brew kits (haven't gotten around to all-grain, yet at least) but I am interested in doing more experimenting, particularly with dry hopping. I've tried twice. I did a Coopers Australia Pale Ale dry hopped with Saaz hops and it really did turn out stunning. So much so It'll be my next brew when the kids allow me time. I also tried some Saaz in a John Bull IPA ... why I thought this might work I do not know. You won't be surprised to know it did not and the result was pretty much undrinkable.

I'm just looking for inspiration. What Kit/dry-hop combo really works for you?

I'm drinking a Coopers Euro lager with 100g of Falconers Flight but it's a bit too much to be honest.
Any Coopers kit with Cascade works for me,or sometimes Citra.
Or try the premium kits like Youngs Amber Ale,they come with hops and have a great malt/hop balance :thumb:

Coopers Ipa, steeped 25g of Nelson sauvin and 25g of amarillo in with 1.5kg light malt. Yeast us-05. Then dry hopped with the same for 4 days. The sample tasted and smelt fantastic. Just hope it stays with it. put in keg on Saturday.

May I ask what was wrong in cold-hopping an IPA with Saaz? I never used them for that, only in boil.
I agree with Cascade-Citra duet :)

May I ask what was wrong in cold-hopping an IPA with Saaz? I never used them for that, only in boil.
I agree with Cascade-Citra duet :)

It was a very unusual taste, basically, the brew tasted like someone had taken a half pint of IPA, a half pint of lager and mixed them together, it left a not very nice aftertaste. I did drink a good bit of the batch mind. I just chilled it as much as possible but I won't be doing it again. Perhaps I used too much Saaz (about an ounce) or did it at the wrong time. I really liked the John Bull IPA when I did it on it's own so not an issue with the kit. Just a bad mix.

My go-to on kits was Wilko golden ale dry hopped with citra and/or cascade. It's quite a sweet wort and the hops add a heck of a lot of aroma.

Interesting thread, I've been contemplating doing this to a coopers dark ale kit to try and brew something similar to tesco revisionist dark ipa which I'm a big fan of.

It was a very unusual taste, basically, the brew tasted like someone had taken a half pint of IPA, a half pint of lager and mixed them together, it left a not very nice aftertaste. I did drink a good bit of the batch mind. I just chilled it as much as possible but I won't be doing it again. Perhaps I used too much Saaz (about an ounce) or did it at the wrong time. I really liked the John Bull IPA when I did it on it's own so not an issue with the kit. Just a bad mix.

Williams Bros Ceaser Augustus is a Lager/IPA hybrid by description, very nice it is too.

Latest posts

Back