Nogne Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Ed

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just got this recipe from Jamil's show on the Brewing Network, with an interview with the founder of Nogne in Norway, after listening to his podcast. I've never tasted the real thing but have been planning a porter recipe for a while. I can't remember the bloke's name from Nogne :oops: , but he was an airline pilot and also a homebrewer, before setting up the Nogne Brewing company, and used to fly from Norway to USA, hence the hops. It's agreat interview because he was a homebrewer that has just continued on a bigger scale, and they are just setting up a lab for quality control, so when asked what the IBU for the late hops are, he just shrugs and says we don't really measure them,we jsu measure the bittering hops. :thumb: I must look out for some of their beers.

So what I've got is the following, I'm not goining to do this for a while as I'm waiting on this year's harvest of Centennial, so rather than keep it back I thought the recipe may be of interest.

81% Maris Otter Thomas Fawcett
8% Crystal 120EBC
5% Munich
3% Chocolate
3% Black malt

Centennial 90mins 30IBU
Northern Brewer 15mins 14IBU (the brewery doesn't measure this, but they use 7500g for 4600L)
Overall IBU of 42-44IBU

OG 1068
FG 1014
Boil 90 mins
Mash 45mins at 65C, raise to 70C for 15mins and mash out at 78C. (I'll be using a 90min mash at 66C)
ABV 7%
EBC they don't measure this
Yeast WLP007 at 20C then bottle condition with Nottingham
Water treatment CaCl to 150-180ppm

I've had a few of their beers and I have to say that they are very tasty!

Which Munich is that? I, II, or III?

Have you tried their imperial stout? I think its even better than the porter.

I'm not sure which Munich, I usually have Munich I in stock, so will use that. I'll look out for their beers :thumb:

At 5% you'd hardly notice any difference between light and dark munich malt.

Back