Hop Combo Link

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loving this idea Rob thanks for the link.

I usually regard hops just a a counter balance to the sweetness of the malt as I prefer malt forward beer. But I'm just about to start doing lots of 5L brews instead of just one 23L at a time. One of the reasons is so I can start experimenting with hop flavours and getting to know what they tastle like - an area sorely lacking in my brewing knowledge.

I was just going to make a series of lots of 5L SMaSH's but with this link it has given me the idea to do the following:

Make a 5L SMaSH, low ABV% about 3.5% and only bitter hop it to about 22IBU. Then follow the instructions in the link to open up a bottle after it's fermented and drop in some hops.

That way I don't have to buy beer - I never buy beer from the supermarket as I can make it so much more cheaply and tastes nicer. Plus I wont have to put on a disguise

Edit: Also it means I can try lots of different hops with one 5L brew as I get about 12 or so 330ml bottles out of each

Loving this idea Rob thanks for the link.

I usually regard hops just a a counter balance to the sweetness of the malt as I prefer malt forward beer. But I'm just about to start doing lots of 5L brews instead of just one 23L at a time. One of the reasons is so I can start experimenting with hop flavours and getting to know what they tastle like - an area sorely lacking in my brewing knowledge.

I was just going to make a series of lots of 5L SMaSH's but with this link it has given me the idea to do the following:

Make a 5L SMaSH, low ABV% about 3.5% and only bitter hop it to about 22IBU. Then follow the instructions in the link to open up a bottle after it's fermented and drop in some hops.

That way I don't have to buy beer - I never buy beer from the supermarket as I can make it so much more cheaply and tastes nicer. Plus I wont have to put on a disguise

Edit: Also it means I can try lots of different hops with one 5L brew as I get about 12 or so 330ml bottles out of each

No worries buddie. its such a simple idea isnt it and I like your take on the it. ill be doing this also eventually. problem is I cant afford to buy lots of different hopps. Now what would be great if someone somewhere sold small "taster" packs of different hopps??????? anybody do this

No worries buddie. its such a simple idea isnt it and I like your take on the it. ill be doing this also eventually. problem is I cant afford to buy lots of different hopps. Now what would be great if someone somewhere sold small "taster" packs of different hopps??????? anybody do this

Fortunately for me, my LHBS will sell me stuff in any quantity I like so I can buy say 5g of hops

Could you use normal hops instead of hop pellets to do this? I've 5 different types of hops and TBF I've no idea how they change the flavour.

Was brought here by MyQul's thread, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Could you use normal hops instead of hop pellets to do this? I've 5 different types of hops and TBF I've no idea how they change the flavour.

Was brought here by MyQul's thread, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

According to the comments following the main stuff about how to do it, you can't use leaf hops.

Why not join in my hop taster pack buy ;)

You could buy import grolsch... tasteless, easy to open and re-seal also left with saying top bottles to re-use.

Like the mini brew ideas.... ferment in small secondary batches... learn effect of hops... Cool.

Latest posts

Back