A wine making calendar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirton

Reaction score
I've just aquired a further 14 DJs expanding my collection to 19. So I now want to plan ahead and utilise them all throughout the year. I'm a big fan of using what nature provides when it's in season, so has anybody got any suggestions for a what wines to make and when.

Here's my ideas (updated with contributions) for a starter:

• January - Barley, beetroot, Ribena or blackcurrant juice, ginger, parsnip, rice & raisin, carrot, potato
    Febuary - Most of the above and any juice or dried fruit wine such as grapefruit or tea and dried prune
    March - Dandelion, Coltsfoot, birch-sap
    April - Dandelion, Oak leaf, Mead
    May - Rhubarb, lavender, nettle, Elderflower, Hawthorn blossom
    June - Elderflower, cherry, gooseberry, parsley, rose petal
    July - ?
    August - Plum
    September - Elderberry, blackberry, hedgerow, apple, pear, damson
    October - Hawthorn, rosehip
    November - Sloe
    December - ?

As you can see there's lots of gaps... suggestions anyone?

Over the winter months you need to rely on dried juiced or preserved ingredients as nothing is really in season in the UK. Here are a few ideas.

Jan - Barley/beetroot/Ribena or blackcurrant juice/ginger/ parsnip/ rice and raisin/carrot/potato.

Feb - Most of the above and any juice or dried fruit wine such as grapefruit or tea and dried prune

March - as above but you might get some early Dandelion in or try a herb wine like Coltsfoot.

April - Dandelion/Oak leaf/Mead?

May - Elderflower/ Hawthorn blossom

June - Cherry/gooseberry/parsley/rose petal.

From here on in the choice is endless....

Porky

Snort!

Porky beat me to it with a pretty good list :thumb:

I would bring Plum forward to August, add Damson to September and Sloe to November.

Early March is a good time for Birch Sap Wine

My recipe is
1 gallon of birch sap
1 lb o f sugar
1/2 tsp citric acid
1 tsp general purpose yeast

rack after 3 months, drink next spring.

Thanks all, some pretty good suggestions there and I've updated my original list with them. I like the sound of birch-sap wine, must put that one on the to-do list for spring, but how much sap could you collect from one tree without damaging it?

kirton said:
Thanks all, some pretty good suggestions there and I've updated my original list with them. I like the sound of birch-sap wine, must put that one on the to-do list for spring, but how much sap could you collect from one tree without damaging it?

You can do the same with Walnut sap as well - thats if you can find one. I;m lucky next door neighbor has a tree!!

kirton said:
how much sap could you collect from one tree without damaging it?

No more than a gallon, less for smaller trees. I always go for the biggest birch tree I can find and never collect more than a dj full. You MUST fill in the hole you've drilled after you've collected the sap, with either cork or clay, you don't want to kill the tree.

is there a link to oak leaf wine recipie? I can't find one using the search.

Latest posts

Back