AG2 English Stout - Help please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

Reaction score
Hi there, just drinking my first AG brew, a very simple, strong and hoppy American IPA. Don't know what you'd call my technique but used a kind of hybrid between a coolbox mash tun and BIAB, using a mashing bag in an unmodified coolbox (student flat means not much in the way of facilities), achieved just under 70% efficiency so can hopefully achieve more this time.

Looking to make a more balanced beer this time and turned towards one of my favourite bottled beers, Wye Valley Dorothy Goodbody's Wholesome Stout. I like how balanced this is, I have read it uses Northdown hence the choice. This is my first attempt at creating a recipe so bear with me, using Hopville Beer Calculus.

Batch Size 10L
Target OG 1.048
Target FG 1.013
79° EBC
36.2 IBU

87% 2.000 Pale Malt (Maris Otter) 70% 5
11% 0.250 Chocolate Malt (UK) 73% 744
2% 0.050 Black Malt 60% 909

boil 60 mins 15 Northdown leaf 6.2
boil 30 mins 10 Northdown leaf 6.2
boil 1 min 10 Northdown leaf 6.2

Any feedback on the recipe would be appreciated, particularly on the balance of the malt. Not looking for extreme flavours but a nice chocolatey flavour.

This is a good basic/first time recipe, but Id tweak it a little.

Grains.
Remove the Black Malt and make up with Chocolate You aint going to taste the Black.
This beer will have a very thin mouthfeel, maybe add 100g of Crystal. As per a 10li brew
Roasted Barley ???
Torrified wheat ? For head retention and mouthfeel
Hops
Traditionally Stout has little to no aroma, so i would personally put all the hops in at the start of the boil and adjust quantities to match your IBU

Yeast ??? SO-4 will do it for me

JMHO Johnnyboy

P.S. Well done for creating your own recipe.

johnnyboy1965 said:
This is a good basic/first time recipe, but Id tweak it a little.

Grains.
Remove the Black Malt and make up with Chocolate You aint going to taste the Black.
This beer will have a very thin mouthfeel, maybe add 100g of Crystal. As per a 10li brew
Roasted Barley ???
Torrified wheat ? For head retention and mouthfeel
Hops
Traditionally Stout has little to no aroma, so i would personally put all the hops in at the start of the boil and adjust quantities to match your IBU

Yeast ??? SO-4 will do it for me

JMHO Johnnyboy

P.S. Well done for creating your own recipe.

Cheers for the help.

Yes I have SO-4 for the yeast. I will add a bit of torrified wheat then (how much 100g?). I was trying to avoid using crystal as I wanted a dry stout without that residual sweetness but I could add a small amount. I don't have any roasted barley, lots of stout recipes have it, how crucial is it?

I wouldn't use all chocolate. Its a stouts so you want some burnt roast malts in there. Use 50g black, 175g chocolate, 40g of roasted barley and 60g of TW. To go against johnnyboy (sorry mate) I wouldnt add crystal. Just mash at a slightly higher tempreture, around 68.5 for a nice full bodied beer. Colour wise I wouldnt worry to much, as long as its black. .

Hop wise Id look at upping your EBU to between 45 and 50 because of the dark malts and like has been said forget about the late hops. If your using Beer engine remember to check your settings. Your hop utilisation should be set to a max of 30% but I would recomend nearer 25%.

Hope this helps you.

Jim

jimw86 said:
I wouldn't use all chocolate. Its a stouts so you want some burnt roast malts in there. Use 50g black, 175g chocolate, 40g of roasted barley and 60g of TW. To go against johnnyboy (sorry mate) I wouldnt add crystal. Just mash at a slightly higher tempreture, around 68.5 for a nice full bodied beer. Colour wise I wouldnt worry to much, as long as its black. .

Hop wise Id look at upping your EBU to between 45 and 50 because of the dark malts and like has been said forget about the late hops. If your using Beer engine remember to check your settings. Your hop utilisation should be set to a max of 30% but I would recomend nearer 25%.

Hope this helps you.

Jim
I like your thinking and no need to aplologize at all. I like my stouts with a very strong burnt taste, but with a little sweetness. I use 500g of TW, but I like "icecream" on top of the stout. I think that if you can achieve this then the hops come second, if you know what I mean. I find Crystal, mashed at 65oC, gives it enough body and the right sweetness, follow this up with the right IBU`s to match the ABV and your on to a winner. Ive done 4 or 5 AG Stouts and they are slowly but surley getting there

Latest posts

Back