Barking Baz's OAA Yuma Brew ?!?!?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
There are too many people who take life far too seriously :whistle: therefore this particular brew is influenced by my bunch of fishing buddies at ‘The OldAnglersArms’ :thumb: that is the ‘home’ of our fishing forum for a bunch of old nutters, well known for our love of all things barmy and our ability to laugh at life ;) it may come as no surprise that I am ‘The Landlord’ @ The OldAnglersArms :grin:

After my successes with the brewing of AG and my journey to ‘The dark Side’ I find that I am enjoying life in ‘The Den’ brewery, though when visitors ask for a looksee or a tour, they are somewhat disappointed to find a motley collection of buckets/boiler/plastic fermentation barrels and my shiny cooling coil :wha: Although this disappointment is quickly tempered by the bottles of ale that appear, because it’s the end result that matters in this case, not the journey to the bottle :cheers:

The recipe for today was a combination of seconds of research and the highly sophisticated technique of ratching around and seeing what’s left to use up, followed by the ‘bungitin’ school of brewing :? but still recording everything, because this may be ‘The One’ :geek:

Today’s brew has been somewhat delayed by the recent freezing conditions, where the highly technical pipe-work had been somewhat stiffened by the temperatures :( basically making it impossible to unroll the hosepipe from its reel :oops: but at last the morning began about 9.30 with filling of the shiny boiler and assembling the tun of mashing, then while the water heats to the appropriate temperature I can gather together the ingredients for …

The OAA Yuma Brew …

4kg of Marris Otter
550g of Crystal Malt
300g of Munich Malt
150g of Pale Wheat Malt
100g sugar
50g Challenger
50g Bobek
Safale04
H2O
t0505h.jpg

You may well wonder how on earth did such a name come about :?: Well it goes back into the depths of time, before we moved into the OldAnglersArms, there was a happy band of pilgrims who dedicated their lives to having fun and light hearted banter, simple folk who shared a love of fishing, eating, drinking ale and having a good time enjoying ‘The Craic’ :party: But in the midst of these simple folk was an Old Ogre :nono: who was known as The Myserhabul Ghytte :whistle: who just didn’t get it, he was a sour faced bugger who was always picking on the simple folk, always grumbling about them, he couldn’t understand why they were so mischievous and happy with their lot in life :hmm:
The simple folk had an easy answer to the Myserhabul Ghytte, it was called ‘Yuma’ :wha: they had a sense of ‘Yuma’ :D Some believed that ‘Yuma’ was actually enhanced by ‘The Beer’. The Beer had the flowers of the Yuma tree added to wort and when boiled up the oil from the flowers of the Yuma tree released into The Beer added a magical property and taste to The Beer :cheers:
Research would show that the Yuma tree was a myth and did not exist :( but in actual fact I think it might be the hop vine :lol: but this bit of nonsense would not be understood by the Myserhabul Ghytte because he had no sense of ‘Yuma’ at all :evil:
29aw9z4.jpg

The wort was gently extracted from the Tun of Mashing , dark in colour and sweet in its aroma, anyone smelling those sweet aromas would be drawn to it with a smile, even before the flowers of the ‘Yuma tree’ were added :thumb:
The alchemy and magic of the boiler of the steel which is stainless draws the oils and goodness from the flowers of the ‘Yuma tree’ with a good rolling boil, adding 50g of Challenger early and then 50g of Bobek (Styrean Goldings) towards the end, together with 100g of Messers Tate & Lyle’s finest granulated to increase the alcohol content and dryness of the brew :drink:
33nx351.jpg

Then of course there is need of a quick cooling preparing the brew for its final journey into the vessel of fermentation and the adding of the yeasties which were being prepared whilst the brew is cooling :idea:
2cdbcpy.jpg

The final end on the first day of the ‘brew of Yuma’, drained into the vessel of fermentation and tucked away so the yeasties can do their work and oils from the flowers of the ‘Yuma tree’ can impart their magic adding the flavour and aroma to this brew :thumb:
m0lrc.jpg

So if you know of an Ogre such as The Myserhabul Ghytte, try him with a bottle of your finest :eek: Hopefully most brews can turn a Myserhabul Ghytte into someone who understands life and laughter in general and not to take life so seriously :thumb: none of us are perfect and the Myserhabul Ghyttes are in need of beer more than most, for they are more imperfect than many and are quite sad :whistle:

So yet another excellent day for me on ‘The Side which is of Darkness’ :party: and fair to say, the dark side is not a place of solemnity or dullness where everything has to be taken too seriously :idea: like life in general, it can help to have a sense of ‘Yuma’ in order that you may avoid becoming The Myserhabul Ghytte :rofl:

cheers :cheers:

barking baz

That looks a great brew. Nice to see the `Northern Malt' addition (wheat malt) I hope that it will have at least 1.5 inches of head when poured :thumb: :thumb:
Another enjoyable read yet again

Cheers

Alistair

:clap: Yumad!
Great pics and love the commentary... it really makes me want to push my computer off the desk and run out of the building shouting... I QUIT... I'M OFF HOME TO BREW SOME BEER! :lol:

Excellent brewday write up and photies.
o if you know of an Ogre such as The Myserhabul Ghytte, try him with a bottle of your finest Hopefully most brews can turn a Myserhabul Ghytte into someone who understands life and laughter in general and not to take life so seriously

Sadly the wife does not drink ale, :D

UP

:D Great stuff Baz :thumb:

My brew today was a rumage around and use up brew as well - Biggle`s Bitter (pilot hops :lol: )

:whistle:

Forgot to give the figures :wha:

beer engine has the figures of

OG 1050
FG 1012
ABV 4.9%
Col 32 EBU

happy days :party: it started bubbling away by next morning and still going like a good 'un :clap: OG was 1050 :!: maybe a midges over :lol:

Righty, FG is down to 1012 and it tastes brilliant :thumb:

so time to bottle and bring in to the warm for a week before storage :thumb:

Latest posts

Back