Best 25L fermentation Vessel for wine making

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guzzie

Reaction score
hi

I have two 25L young's wide mouth fermentation vessels used three times mainly for wine. Recently I used one to brew a Mangrove Jacks Cider. After bottling I washed the FV and then soaked in Youngs Steriliser and Cleaner as usual and rinsed and left to dry. Today I found there were black spots/growths? at the bottom of the FV. These can be wiped off using a damp kitchen tissue. I am wondering if this FV has some rough surfaces or scratches and may no longer be suitable for fermenting.

So I am thinking of replacing both FVs. I am looking for similar sized vessels for fermenting wine which are easy to clean and will hopefully last longer than the present FVs.
Recommendations please !!

thanks
G

Personally I'd give them a blitz with bleach. A quick squirt with a gallon or so of water to dilute. Slosh it around and leave it to stand for a few days.
Just make sure you rinse well - with my FVs I do 3 cold water rinses followed by a kettle of boiling water which also sanitises the thing as well.

I use Richie's standard 23l FV there is plenty of head room so vigarous fermentations don't usually end up with the wine trying to escape the lids are a tight fit and are always airtight so if you like to see airlock activity you cannot go wrong with these.

Been looking around and found a Mangrove Jack's 25L stainless steel fermenter. Would be interested in finding if any of you are using them and how good they are. Does the lid have a replaceable seal etc ?

thanks
G

Latest posts

Back