Brentwood brewing Co Competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimw86

Reaction score
Hi all, running a comp with another forum and though Id open it up to you to. The task is to clone our 5.2% ESB Lumberjack. All entries will be judged and the winner gets a prize.

Recipe is as follows

Pale malt 89.5%
Cara 1.5%
Crystal 6%
Chocolate 1.5%
T. Wheat 1.5%

Hop with Northdrown and Fuggles to 44.5 EBU
Flame out hops of EKG and Fuggles split 66%/33%

Entries in by the 23/3/12

post entries to

Brentwood brewing co
Freize Hall farm
Coxtie green road
Brentwood
Essex
CM14 5RE

Please attach a label with your name and what forum your from.

Cheers

Jim

Is the Lumberjack available in any of the national supermarkets? I haven't tried the beer so I would be brewing blind.

Is it just a single bottle per entry? Any clues on the yeast. :P

:cheers:

They Bottle Condition their beers, and I'm guessing it's the primary strain so the yeast shouldn't be a problem.

I may have to pop over to Calcott Hall and pick up a bottle and have a go at this. I have all the ingredients in stock so it will be worth an experiment.

Is the aim to make an exact copy, or to make an improved version. :whistle:

I think time is going to be against be on this one. I am brewing this weekend but I have some WLP029 working away in a conical so I am going to play with that instead.

Aleman said:
Dunfie said:
Any clues on the yeast. :P
Crouch Vale ;) is a very likely starter

That will be the old Ridleys yeast, you can get that from Whitelabs, Essex strain available this time of year or I've had Brewlabs make me a Ridleys strain before.

Na we dont use crouch yeast, used to. I wouldnt get to hung up on the yeast and we dont bottle condition either ;) . The aim is to clone the beer, so the nearest to the pin wins. You can enter as many as you like. The beers will be judged on-

Likeness
Bitterness
Carbonation
Colour

Sorry but the beer isnt available in national retailers but you can buy it online at alesbymail.com

Dennis, im reliably informed that crouch yeast is an old Whitbread yeast. Ridleys as far as im aware never had a pitching yeast and relied upon naturally occuring yeast in the brew house as they had open FV's

jimw86 said:
Dennis, im reliably informed that crouch yeast is an old Whitbread yeast. Ridleys as far as im aware never had a pitching yeast and relied upon naturally occuring yeast in the brew house as they had open FV's

I'm sure Phil at Wibblers told me he used Crouch Vale yeast and they had got it from Ridleys. Aleman might know more about Wibblers than me.

Back