Bus crash Manchester

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A bus has crashed into a cafe in Manchester, with 12 people injured and the driver held on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.
It struck the T4 bubble tea cafe in the Piccadilly Gardens area of the city centre at about 13:15 BST.
The casualties were believed to be pedestrians who were outside the cafe at the time, Greater Manchester Police said, with one woman seriously injured.
Witness Michael Stevens told the BBC he felt "lucky to be alive".
Emergency services at first said "at least two" people had been hurt before later clarifying.
A police statement confirmed the 64-year-old driver had been arrested.
It added: "It has been established that 12 people have been injured with one woman in a life-threatening condition receiving treatment at hospital.
"Others involved are believed to be in a stable condition with minor injuries."
Eyewitness Mr Stevens, from Sheffield, said: "I saw a bus driving toward myself and a large group of people.
"It knocked me back a bit but I was all right. The bus went into a café - it smashed into that building and took out all the seating area.
"I was shocked. It was really bad."

1697476263054.png
1697476394348.png

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service also attended and a large cordon was put in place.
There were road closures in the area and officers from the police serious collision investigation unit were examining the scene.
Piccadilly Gardens was currently closed to all buses with services using alternative stops, Transport for Greater Manchester said.
The city's Metrolink tram services were continuing to run but without stopping at Piccadilly Gardens.

From the scene at about 14:40, BBC Radio Manchester reporter Mat Trewern said he could see the single-decker blue bus "sticking out right across the pavement".
"There is a huge emergency response here - paramedics, firefighters and police all crowding around the crash scene," he said.
"A large part of this side of Piccadilly Gardens has been cordoned off. There's no access to the buses here which, as you can imagine, is causing quite a bit of disruption."

Posting on X, one eyewitness said the scene was "properly, properly horrendous".
Another said: "One of the most horrible scenes I've witnessed, really praying everybody involved in the incident at Piccadilly gardens is okay and pull through, my heart goes out to all involved."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-67124988

Latest posts

Back