cyclists

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/news-opinion/cyclists-dismount-signs-causing-strife-28631706

below is from the DOT

1708280098903.png

So advice on someone better qualified much appreciated.

I view it as similar to 'road closed' or 'ramp' signs

I.e. it is not a compulsory instruction. it is a warning/informational sign as it is rectangular.

I have cycled on this section. I make an assessment based on the circumstances and risk to myself and others. e.g. when it is manic I go on the road given traffic crawls into mumbles on those occasions.

There are a couple of bridges in Cardiff with cyclist dismount signs. I rarely do. If I dismount I have to walk beside my bike while pushing it, taking up more space and causing more inconvenience to pedestrians than if I ride considerately.

We seem to have lost all of our 'common sense' these days. Sure, if the pathway was really busy and crowded then I'm sure most sensible cyclists would dismount and walk the section, but if the path is clear and maybe only a few pedestrians with plenty of space to cycle past them then what's the problem. People are just so ready to be triggered these days. I don't think the media help matters...they always seem to be ready to stoke up a fight between different groups (not necessarily this linked article).

The reality is you take up more space walking beside a bike rather than riding it.

We seem to have lost all of our 'common sense' these days. Sure, if the pathway was really busy and crowded then I'm sure most sensible cyclists would dismount and walk the section, but if the path is clear and maybe only a few pedestrians with plenty of space to cycle past them then what's the problem. People are just so ready to be triggered these days. I don't think the media help matters...they always seem to be ready to stoke up a fight between different groups (not necessarily this linked article).

The reality is you take up more space walking beside a bike rather than riding it.
Yes the media does seem to me to be inflaming tensions between us in all sorts of areas.

As a pedestrian, cyclist and motorist I don't go fuming at the other 2 groups when i'm in another mode of transport.

yes - a bit of common sense and courtesy goes a long way. A better sign should probably read something like "Cyclists - please ride considerately and give priority to pedestrians" but (i) sensible advice like that has no place in the deep culture of authoritarianism that permeates UK politics and (ii) there's probably no sign board big enough to fit the welsh translation (!).

as an aside, this is why it is good to change how you get about from time to time. Road running and cycling have made me think much harder, when I am driving, about these other road users.

Latest posts

Back