Decisions,decisions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejesmonddingo

Reaction score
In the last three days,I've got 2 x 5 gallon fermenters,2 king kegs and a Boots barrel and a CO2 cylinder from a nice man on ebay (£56.56 all in,the Boots barrel and cylinder were freebies,yey :whistle: ),7.5kg of light malt extract some Cascade,Fuggles,EKG,Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin from the Malt Miller, I've got crystal and chocolate malt in the freezer,so what do I brew?I fancy something strongish(~5%) blonde and hoppy,and a fairly trad bitter at about 4%.Any recommendations gratefully recieved,I'm only on my third brew since a 15 -20 year layoff and I'm still getting my eye in.
Ian

You dont say if you have any pale malt which is the base for most brews. Dont think you will have anything blond either using choc malt. Have a look at the recipe section here on the forum which will give you an idea of what to brew :thumb:

Wendy,I brew from extract and it's light extract,if I use the Fuggles and Goldings with some crystal,I should be able to make a decent ordinary session bitter,but I am keen on big,blonde and hoppy,so I'm going to get some Carapils/Caramalt tommorrow,and go from there.I'm not a slavish follower of recipes,I use them for ideas,and have looked at the recipes here,and there are some interesting looking brews,but this a social board,and I like the interaction of hearing people's suggestions and preferences.
Ian

I did a recipe for a very hoppy NS APA when I was doing extract brews that was something like this...

3kg Light extract

50g cascade @ 30 minutes
50g NS @ 20 minutes
25g NS @ 1 minute
25g NS dry hop after 7 days

This worked very well but I'd probably suggest steeping a say 400g of crystal to add a bit more malt flavour.

It's also a low gravity beer(~3%) so you could up the extract quite a lot and it would still be fine.

Back