Demijohns and bungs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogwitch

Reaction score
All my demijohns have come to me second hand, ebay, etc.
I've noticed that some of the DJs have a smaller neck than others and the standard bungs do not fit well. I've found shaving them down a bit with a knife has helped a little but it leaves them with a rougher surface and therefore more likely to harbour germs, etc.

Does anyone know of a supplier that sells slightly thinner bungs?
I'm also looking for a supplier that sells standard bungs that are dual-bored - never seen any though.

Odd that. I have a few old DJ's about 40 years old and find that the rubber bungs fit ok all be it higher than the more modern DJ's where if you push them in too hard they go into the neck at least three quarters of the way and can be a problem to remove.

Hi I have some like that as well as some with a screw thread!! (their a bl**dy nuisance)! Howevever I don't think theres much alternative to shaving them although you could try sanding them down on a spinning disc, with a bar up the middle. Won't work with solid ones tho! (although cork ones might be a bit smaller/ more crushable). As for double bored you might have to try a laboratory supplies company as iv'e yet to see any for sale. Hope this helps.

springtime said:
Odd that. I have a few old DJ's about 40 years old and find that the rubber bungs fit ok all be it higher than the more modern DJ's where if you push them in too hard they go into the neck at least three quarters of the way and can be a problem to remove.

I've a couple like that, too. I find the bungs come out quite easily if pulled with the airlock, I've not had one stuck yet....

wezil said:
Hi I have some like that as well as some with a screw thread!! (their a bl**dy nuisance)! Howevever I don't think theres much alternative to shaving them although you could try sanding them down on a spinning disc, with a bar up the middle. Won't work with solid ones tho! (although cork ones might be a bit smaller/ more crushable). As for double bored you might have to try a laboratory supplies company as iv'e yet to see any for sale. Hope this helps.

Yep - it's the ones with the screw thread that seem to be the smallest, there's quite a variation overall though.
The idea of a spinning disk worries me, me and power tools are not the best of friends! I've been making lockpicks on a bench grinder recently and I've had so many near misses, I'm surprised I can still count to ten!

LeithR said:
you may be able to solve your problem here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-Solid-Red ... 1409931%26

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Great find! Thanks for that. I'm not sure about the bore diameter, all regular bungs appear to be about 8mm and with these at 5mm, I would struggle to get pipes down them. I'll have a little experiment with drills on some older bungs to see if they could be rebored.
They definitely have a good range of sizes, some of which I'm sure would do the trick - bit pricey though so I'll be measuring carefully before ordering!

I only have one demi with a thread, and it's wider than my others, rather than narrower!

screamlead said:
Measure the inside diameter of the dj's and look on here - - - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/THE-HARDWARE-E ... c=1&_sop=1

I even got some for test tubes and for 19 & 20 ltr water bottles/Large DJ's all solid cork so you will need to drill to fit an airlock but all mine work a treat. :cheers: :thumb:

Thanks for that. I've been avoiding cork as I'm not sure how easy it is to sterilise or how reusable it is. What's your experience?

Hi cork is a bit different to sterilise than rubber, it floats!! I put them in a tub then put something heavy on the top so it pushes them down, then I just leave them a bit longer to be sure. And mine seem to be lasting ok.

some of my cork bungs are in a aweful state, left them in the djs with nout in for a month or two, just completely penetrated with mould :sick:

wezil said:
Hi cork is a bit different to sterilise than rubber, it floats!! I put them in a tub then put something heavy on the top so it pushes them down, then I just leave them a bit longer to be sure. And mine seem to be lasting ok.

I've got quite used to doing that when sterilising my corks for the wine bottles, I've got a system that works involving a measuring jug, a saucer and a pint glass full of water. :)

wilsoa1111 said:
some of my cork bungs are in a aweful state, left them in the djs with nout in for a month or two, just completely penetrated with mould :sick:

That's a concern. They'll be in the DV for several months with the way some of my wine is going although I'm aiming to rack monthly and I can sterilise/replace corks when I do that.
Was there moisture trapped in the DJ?

No problem at all with corks, i have airlocks sealed into mine with silicone. After use i re sterilise and leave in a solution of videne for a couple of days so the cork swells back to its natural state/size as they can shrink if they dry out too much. I too, weigh mine down to keep the cork submerged in the solution.
Cheap enough to replace any way and you can get any size you need from that site i posted the link to. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back