DIY label glue for bottle labels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobyipa

Landlord.
Reaction score
found this idea to make glue for beer labels
To make the glue:
5 tsp vinegar
packet of jelly lemons the best for not staining your labels
choose your own flavour or just use plain gelatine
Just put the vinegar into a pan and bring to a boil.
When boiling stir in the jelly until dissolved then remove from heat.
Use a paintbrush to paint the back side of the labels and let them dry completely.

When dry you have a label you can moisten like a stamp and stick it on the bottles.
The jelly flavour you use is your preference so if you lick them it tastes good and there are no contaminates present.
The jelly will wash off readily with warm water so they are very easy to clean.
:thumb: :electric: :drink:

bobsbeer said:
Interesting. I would never have thought of adding vinegar to gelatine. I usually use milk when I label.
the good thing about the jelly method is you can bulk print labels glue and dry for further use and labelling personalised drinking glasses for your particular brew
:thumb: :drink:

I like the idea of them being like stamps.
Do the labels come off when there is condensation on the bottles?

Eli_D said:
I like the idea of them being like stamps.
Do the labels come off when there is condensation on the bottles?

condensation shouldn't affect it much as what glue you make can be kept solid in a jar at fridge temperatures
to use later you simply dunk the glue jar and all in hot water to reactivate liquify again
so at cool temperatures it should be more solid jelly if you know what i mean :drink:
i am going to try it this week
:electric:

Sounds strange but a very very thin layer of milk will work as glue and ink won't run. Once dry it'll stay on until you wet it

Batch print your labels using computer, put milk into an empty spray bottle and spray the milk onto the back of the labels then place them on the bottles. When finished put the bottles into a dishwasher and they come off in the wash leaving your bottles clean and sterilised.

Latest posts

Back