Double brew day!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedsbrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got a day off with the Mrs so we've got a double brew day planned! :D :D :D

Strike water coming up to temp for

Batch 2 of Schnieder Weisseish (23L)

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
UK Wheat Malt 3.444 kg 60.0 % 2.1 In Mash/Steeped
UK Lager Malt 0.976 kg 17.0 % 0.6 In Mash/Steeped
UK Vienna Malt 0.976 kg 17.0 % 1.0 In Mash/Steeped
UK Munich Malt 0.321 kg 5.6 % 0.6 In Mash/Steeped
Carafe Special 3 0.023 kg 0.4 % 3.1 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
German Hallertauer Hersbrucker 3.0 % 50 g 14.7 Loose Whole Hops All Of Boil

Yeast
White Labs WLP300-Hefeweizen Ale (Slurry from prev batch)

Second brew will be Hawkshead Brodie's Prime. I've been meaning to get this on for ages.

More to follow!

LB

Thanks matey

Forgot to post it before but the recipe for the Brodie's Prime is

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
UK Pale Ale Malt 3.921 kg 65.0 % 3.6 In Mash/Steeped
UK Medium Crystal 0.603 kg 10.0 % 11.0 In Mash/Steeped
UK Wheat Malt 0.603 kg 10.0 % 0.4 In Mash/Steeped
UK Rolled Oats 0.603 kg 10.0 % 0.5 In Mash/Steeped
UK Chocolate Malt 0.302 kg 5.0 % 41.2 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
UK Fuggle 3.9 % 56 g 21.2 Loose Whole Hops All Of Boil
UK Bramling Cross 6.0 % 44 g 11.8 Loose Whole Hops 15 Min From End
US Cascade 7.6 % 20 g 2.7 Loose Whole Hops 5 Min From End
UK Bramling Cross 6.0 % 15 g 0.0 Loose Whole Hops At turn off
US Cascade 7.6 % 15 g 0.0 Loose Whole Hops At turn off

Yeast
White Labs WLP005-British Ale

Nice one .. have a great day mate! Like the look of the second one!

:cheers:

Well boil is on for Schnieder wiesse, and Brodie's is mashing. Just realised I'm out of H Hersbrucker so it'll be a mix of Mittlefruh and saaz for the weisse! oh well :D :D :D

Cheers chaps. Yeah it was a good brew day! It was interspersed with some monumental titting about on my behalf but I think the end results will be very good!

Franklin said:
Bramling Cross & Cascade sounds interesting :) Hope it went well :)

Aye, I think it will be a very good combo it the commercial stuff is anything to go by! :D :D

double-brewday-21410.jpg

This is what they looked like this AM. Schnieder Wieeseish is going off like a rocket again with the WLP300. I'm going to have to set up a blow off tube. The yeast was slurry from the bottom of a weisse base beer I'm turning into a weisse kriek for the Mrs so was very fresh. This turned out at 25L @ 1.045 so a little off the 23L @ 1.051 I was aiming for but thats because I forgot to turn the boiler up after a near boil over at the beginning of the boil! :roll:

The Brodie's Prime however was 24L @ 1.054 instead of 23L @ 1.053. That can be attributed to my efficiency being 87% instead of the expected 80%! :D :D :D This was pitched with
5 hours after the Schnieder. The WLP005 was slurry from a batch of black sheep ale and has been in the fridge for about a week and a half. I pitched about 400mls of VERY thick slurry. Mr malty pitching rate calculator suggested about 100mls so I erred on the side of caution! :lol: :lol: the air lock is blipping away nicely. I expect it'll get going this afternoon.

All in all a good day!

:D :D :D

LB

Thought I would post a quick YEAST CAM update! The wlp300 is currently trying to escape through the blow off tube, and the wlp005 is picking up speed!

Video clicky! :D :D :D

If that is the Whitelabs wheat yeast then I would suggest that you put that blow off a bottle into a much bigger container, unless you are into beige carpets ;)

Cheers A! I it is the WLP300. I'm on a night shirt tonight, but the Mrs just sent me an sms saying it's escaping out of the lid! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Looks like I've got some cleaning up to do tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back