Dug 'em out of the freezer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu9000

Reaction score
Right, I have dug my hips an haws out of the freezer, bunged em into an FV with a bit of pectolaze, tannin, sprinkle of bentonite and a couple of Campdent Tablets. In my haste i didnt weigh the fruit but im guessing it came in at around 3lb

Im going to leave it for 24 hours, but then what.

I hope to get 2+ DJs=10L

Sugar = 2000g
Raisins = 500g
(remember halve these measurements for a 5L recipe)

Thought I might bung in a Litre of pressed white grape juice (or is this against the spirit of country wines), and might add a bit of concentrate at a later date.

Given that this is all guesswork, can anybody tell me if the sugar content is about right?

Ta
S

stu9000 said:
Given that this is all guesswork, can anybody tell me if the sugar content is about right?

Rosehips are 13% sugar (and as much as 20% if they are really ripe and wrinkled)
Hawthorn berries 8%
Raisins 67%

So if that was a 50:50 mix of berries there would be 3 lbs/2 /2.2046 = 680g x av 10.5% = 71g.

The Raisins are 67% sugar, so 500g/2 x 67% = 168g

So a total sugar content per gall (asuming you add just enough water to the fruit & sugar to get precisely 2 galls - the amount of juice released by the berries will probably be about the same as the water absorbed by the raisins) of 1Kg + 71g +168g = 1.239Kg.

Adding a carton of GJ will add another 160g.

thanks

1.390kg per 5L.
seems a little low compared to the recipe below(taking saltanas into consideration). so might chuck in the wgj..?

4 pints hawthorn berries
3 lb / 1,350 grams sugar
1 lb / 450 grams sultanas
Citric acid
Campden tablet
Yeast energizer
Water up to 1 gallon
Wine yeast
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=10859

Its cleared and tastes FANTASTIC already.
Degassing to come.
Gonna do a LOAD of h&h this season.

Latest posts

Back