Google Chrome 54.0.2840.99 update fixes 3 Reported Vulnerabilities

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My version of chrome doesn't auto update so i have to check it occasionally, this update was released on November 10.

Version 54.0.2840.99 of Google Chrome was released yesterday that fixes for 3 reported vulnerabilities as well as other issues discovered internally by Google. Unfortunately, at this time the severity of these vulnerabilities is unknown, but based on the bounty reward it is possible that at least 2 of them could possibly lead to remote code execution.

To update Chrome, simply click on the Settings menu button , click on Help, and then select About Chrome. Chrome will then check for updates and install them. A restart of Chrome will be required to fully finish the upgrade.

According to the release notes for this version,

This update includes 4 security fixes. Below, we highlight fixes that were contributed by external researchers. Please see the Chrome Security Page for more information.

[$5500][643948] High CVE-2016-5199: Heap corruption in FFmpeg. Credit to Paul Mehta

[$5000][658114] High CVE-2016-5200: Out of bounds memory access in V8. Credit to Choongwoo Han

[$1000][660678] Medium CVE-2016-5201: Info leak in extensions. Credit to Rob Wu

We would also like to thank all security researchers that worked with us during the development cycle to prevent security bugs from ever reaching the stable channel.

As usual, our ongoing internal security work was responsible for a wide range of fixes:

[662843] CVE-2016-5202: Various fixes from internal audits, fuzzing and other initiatives
It is strongly advised that everyone update Chrome as soon as possible.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...0-99-update-fixes-3-reported-vulnerabilities/

For some reason i managed to post this in the sponsor forum yesterday :doh:

I don't know if its just me but all sites/pages seem to load noticably faster since the update.

Latest posts

Back