Grainfather Conical - First Use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently acquired a Grainfather Conical Fermenter and am preparing it for first use. With previous SS equipment I've cleaned with TSP, then passivated it with a strong Chemsan solution and finally rinsed with cold water, rinsing with no-rinse Chemsan concentration before use.

There seem to be no specific instructions for first-use of the GF Conical other than cleaning with Mangrove Jack's Detergent and then Mangrove Jack's no-rinse sanitiser, however I was just going to follow my above procedure as a belt and braces but just wanted to check with the experts that there's no reason why I *shouldn't* do that!

Thanks.

Your procedure should be fine.

You want to remove any manufacturing by-products before first use (generally there can be a very fine later of oil from the manufacturing procedure and any kind of contaminants). Then sanitise as normal.

The GF conical comes passivated, a good clean and rinse than sanitation on the brewday will be sufficient

Fantastic, thanks for that - it did look awfully shiny so I was wondering. That's about £100 of Chemsan saved then 🙂

I'm sure it's been said before but for anybody who was bordering on getting the CF Conical and was worried about value for money, I can't remember the last time I bought something where I was so convinced that every pound was well spent. It was absolutely a huge amount of money for me, but I wanted it to be "the only fermenter I'd ever need". And for my batch size and the frequency of my brews, it is; I couldn't be more happy. And kinda relieved - I was worried I'd feel short changed, but no chance!

Latest posts

Back