Hi New and Totally Inexperienced!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukehgriffiths

Reaction score
Hi All,

There seems to be a wealth of experience on these boards and while I try to get my head round everything (even the bits where people disagree with other people re brewing) I thought I'd ask a few novice questions.

I am planning to try AG brewing eventually but want some steeped + extract experience first.

I am not the most "handy" when it comes to building etc so am thinking of buying a catering style boiler to use for heating water for steeping grain (eventually).

I also have my eye on some kit on ebay where a gent has already fit kettle elements to a large plastic bucket (72 litre just needs a tap) for boiling plus loads of other kit FVs and pressure barrels; part completed immersion cooler and this I may or may not win bidding on!

The main concern I have at the moment (don't get me started on 1.050 1.036 etc that I am lost on I am focussed on getting equipment and educating myself at the mo) is what size catering boiler I need. Am sole earner and parent of 2.5 kids so price is an issue. Would 26 litres (under 6 gallons) be enough or would I be better with 30 (above 6 gallons) then some people say 40 minimum. Would this then depend upon whether I had the larger boiler.

Based on my limited reading thus far I am thinking that you could use the large boiler as HLT to boil the wort it could also boil extract brew if I am careful not to boil the speciality grains..however I have doubts that I could use a 26l boiler for this purpose as I'd lose too much through the boil.

Am likely to get things piecemeal so have plenty of time to learn and await advice :)

Many thanks and anything useful I find out I too will share.

Happy brewing and even happier drinking.

Luke

Welcome Luke.
You appear to want to go the direct route towards AG brewing but you say your totally inexperienced.
Your inexperience is that with AG brewing or with beer brewing as a whole ? i.e have you done kit brewing or extract brewing as your first steps.
I know kit brewing is sometimes looked down upon but I suggest a knowledge of these basics stand you in good step when you move on.
I've returned to home brewing after many years in the wilderness. I'm essentially a kit maker as I'm getting a little too old to go the AG route and don't drink as much as I use to so prefer to be able to quickly make different types of beer so I can have a bottle or three of various styles etc.

Good luck with your planned route, keep us updated on your acquisitions, trials and tribulations, there are many good and experienced brewers on this site and whatever problem you have someone will be sure to have done that, been there and soaked the t shirt.

hi and welcome , i would do at least 1 kit first if i was you , then try extract with some grains in a pan (steeping) before moving to ag which when i brew 23 litres i have a 30 litre pan and only just have enough room to boil 28 litres of wort to end up with 23l in my fv so a largere pot is best :thumb:

welcome to the forum luke +1 for the above posts i brewed 5 kits befor i did my first AG which is great experience and gives you time to put a full kit together.
:cheers:

Hi and welcome, I for one have never done a kit. I cut my teeth doing extract beers for around 6 months then went AG. Started of with only a big pan for boiling. Let us know where you live, one idea is to join someone and watch them brew.

Thanks a lot. I was thinking kits first but decided a speciality grain steep seemed no harder you just soak some grains half an hour before brewing as normal with extract so far as I can tell...Thinking the porter from how to brew by John Palmer.

I live in Derby but have kids dog and teaching job to occupy me. I have a trip to a local brewery booked so might ask some questions.

Will be a while until I have equipment time and money to try things. I asked about equipment as I want to be ready to step up to all grain without going shopping again.

Many thanks for advice think I'll make sure I have at least 30 litres in a boiler.

Luke

Latest posts

Back