House water supply

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From legal beagles I'm seeing similar to what you wrote but that was for shared supplies that pass through homes. I'm about to re-tile my hallway and I will never allow the neighbour dig that up if he is having issues.
Guess I'll have to give my solicitor a call. Yayyyy... more bills šŸ˜‚
To be honest mate, the solicitor who was acting on your behalf when you purchased the house should have picked up on this anomaly and seeing as how they didn't, they have a responsibility to you and as such should bear the costs. They were acting on your behalf so have a duty of care to you.

What i would question is what the water guy actually said to you, are you sure he wasnā€™t winding you up? Itā€™s very unusual for a water company/builder to do this like. It would have been the builder as thatā€™s where the water companies responsibility ends, at the stop cock, then itā€™s all down to the builder, or now home owner. Itā€™s the same with drainage and utility supplies.

I agree but in fairness to the solicitor... How is she supposed to know that. You wouldn't even expect the surveyor to spot that. How could he?
No, the pipe runs had nothing to do with the water contractor. He knocked my door because it was confusing him. If you look at the picture you can seen mine on the left where it should be on the right... Plus only one pipe should be entering my property.
I spoke to the neighbour's estate agent today (it's rented out) and even she was like "that's very strange. I've never seen that before".
I want to speak to the owner first before I start spending money on a solicitor.

I agree but in fairness to the solicitor... How is she supposed to know that. You wouldn't even expect the surveyor to spot that. How could he?
No, the pipe runs had nothing to do with the water contractor. He knocked my door because it was confusing him. If you look at the picture you can seen mine on the left where it should be on the right... Plus only one pipe should be entering my property.
I spoke to the neighbour's estate agent today (it's rented out) and even she was like "that's very strange. I've never seen that before".
I want to speak to the owner first before I start spending money on a solicitor.
Iā€™ve now built a few houses, 7 to be exact and in all my time Iā€™ve never known a water supply from another house to enter another property (apart from flats)

The water company installs the mains water supply which usually terminates on your front path, or maybe somewhere in your front garden. The builder then takes over and runs (the blue) piping into your home, typically under the foundations and itā€™s supposed to be 1mtr deep to avoid damage from frost. This will be a direct run and terminate under your kitchen sink at your internal stop cock. Then the plumber takes over.

I just find it strange that a builder would run a neighbours water supply into your property and then on into your neighbours. Iā€™m not doubting you by the way, i just think itā€™s very odd and totally out of the regulations and as such the property deeds, drawings, plans, would all have to be ā€œredlinedā€ to show the changes made.

It is very strange. The only thing I can think of is the guy I bought the house from is a builder, he might have owned both properties at one stage and done some work as cheaply as possible (I suspect replacing lead pipes). I think he is a bit of a cowboy because if you put down a ball in the living room I runs over to the corner šŸ˜‚
I worked as a domestic sparks for years and never seen the likes of it myself either.

My solicitor got back to me.
She said it's a very strange one and hasn't come across it before. I don't need to update any deeds, plans, etc. If there is a problem with the guy's pipe he does have a right to repair it but must give me reasonable notice and MUST reinstate it to how it was. She said if the reinstatement works weren't satisfactory/to a good standard of work then it would be a simple judgement on my behalf (providing I have all my evidence, which of course I would).
im happy enough with that.

Back