Interesting stoneware beer barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfingobo

Reaction score
Having started brewing recently, I have been gifted my great grandfathers ceramic beer barrel, that he used regularly to serve his beer at home (probably mostly home made from what I know of him)

I’m looking for some advice on how to use it. I’m guessing it’s not going to hold pressure. Am I best transferring to this as a secondary fermenter when fg is very nearly reached with no priming, and perhaps only loosely fitting the bung so it can “pop” if the pressure does build? Or should I carbonate it in something else and then decant to this? I should be clear, I’m not expecting to get the best beer out of this compared to a modern pb or a bottle but it would be hugely sentimental to serve this way to the family once gatherings are allowed again.

I’ve ordered a new wooden tap from eBay as the plastic one (push fit plastic) stinks despite days soaking in bleach and oxy. I’ve also ordered new cork bung and a cork for the small hole on top (presumably to let air in as you pour, I will remove this to pour)

anybody any memory or history of this sort of thing? It’s marked Powell Bristol which was sold in 1906 so possibly very early or pre 20th century. I guess about 5L or so.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 53
I have often wondered why they used stoneware, it is not as if they didn't have glass bottles, I did see a collection of Offilers Ales flagons in quart and half gallon. Also charcoal filters for water, hot water bottles and bread crocks were made of stoneware must have been a thriving industry.
Don't forget the cork around the tap.
1593465387617.png

I’ve got the rubber from the plastic tap which doesn’t seem to smell. Will look for a cork one though for maximum authenticity!

Thanks guys for the info. Really hoping to find someone who’s tried serving from one, as apart from treating it like a plastic growler, i.e. basically just for serving pre carbonated beer that goes flat in a day, I can’t see how to use it.

Thanks guys for the info. Really hoping to find someone who’s tried serving from one, as apart from treating it like a plastic growler, i.e. basically just for serving pre carbonated beer that goes flat in a day, I can’t see how to use it.
It won't go flat in a day, treat it the same as a wooden cask, the small hole as a breatherwith some gauze or muslin and a straw. You will have to get the timing right though for the get togethers.

I would imagine that it would withstand low carb ales. Having a quick look around the web though it looks like this type of ceramic/pottery keg was mainly used for spirits etc. Maybe Gin, port, whisky. Looks as though people used them as novelty decanters.

It won't go flat in a day, treat it the same as a wooden cask, the small hole as a breatherwith some gauze or muslin and a straw. You will have to get the timing right though for the get togethers.
Thanks Foxy, so allow it to condition in something else? Or rack straight from FV into it?

Thanks Foxy, so allow it to condition in something else? Or rack straight from FV into it?
Rack into the barrel when just about finished, a couple of points off. I did it with a cube using it as a cask, started drinking it about 5 days later and with a gravity pour. Came out pretty damn clear without cold crashing or any finings. It was from my first pressure ferment, don't know if that had anything to do with it.
002.JPG
005.JPG

That’s great thanks for the info will give it a few trial runs before serving to the family

Latest posts

Back