just about to rack a wurzel..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptnCrackoff

Regular.
Reaction score
i'm planning on adding one crushed campden, some youngs stabiliser, some glycerin and kwik clear finings.

can i do this all in one go? or does anyone foresee any problems??

jon

No problem :thumb:

Rack onto the crushed campden tablet and make sure it has dissolved. Give it a damned good shake to get rid of some gas, then add the sorbate, then the finings. I would do all of this within 30 minutes.

Glycerine can go in at any time from mixing up to bottling, makes no difference whatsoever.

did the same thing well almost the same thing 2 days ago, but put the glycerine in at the start of fermentation, the wurzels is almost clear now :D

Thanks guys, it all went in together, pretty much, and has now cleared nicely!! ready for bottling, that is when i overcome my bottle shortage problems!! Our new receptionist at work is no where near as much of a p155 head as the last one!! she'll have to go.
:lol:

Moley said:
Give it a damned good shake to get rid of some gas,

Im reading up on doing a wurzel plan on getting it away today. I keep coming across the term DE GASSING is this what you mean by giving it a good shake.

snail59 said:
I keep coming across the term DE GASSING is this what you mean by giving it a good shake.
Yes, something like that, it's not compulsory but I'm told it helps with clearing and maturing.

Some people use whisks on electric drills, some people use vacuum gizmos, some just shake.
I just shake, perhaps 4 or 5 good shakings over a 30 minute period, but then that's it, I put it away and leave it alone.

when ive racked mine i transfer it back and forth between the vessels a few times,
via a funnel, this seems to release a lot of gas... :thumb:

i have 6x1 gallon wurzels that have stood for a month in a cold room and they have barely cleared...will they ever clear... :?:
im thinking about adding some finnings......was trying to avoid it tbh... :hmm:

snail59 said:
So if ive got this right its ferment-transfer to clean DJ-add finings etc-shake-allow to clear-bottle-ENJOY :grin:
Spot on :thumb:

artyb said:
I have 6x1 gallon wurzels that have stood for a month in a cold room and they have barely cleared...will they ever clear... :?:
I'm thinking about adding some finings......was trying to avoid it tbh... :hmm:
I've found that Wurzels can take a long time to clear naturally and always seem to retain a haze. I try not to use finings with my country wines but my Wurzels always get some. As I tend to make it in 5-6 gallon batches I also usually polish it through a Vinbrite before bottling.

Back