Misty when cool

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrown5

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been making Wurzel wine for 6 months with great success, my latest 6 gallon batch was made with Lalvins K1-V1116 yeast (taste great), I have cleared and filtered the wine to crystal clear, but after bottling 4 days ago I put one bottle in the fridge and noticed the wine after removing condensation had gone quite cloudy again :cry: but when the wine comes back to room temp it clears again. this happens with other bottles. when bottling I did use 1 campden tab and a pinch of potassium sorbate per gallon.

Very confused hope someone can help
Thanks
Andrew

1 litre carton Del Monte 100% pure orange juice.
1 litre carton Tesco pure pressed white grape juice.
1¾ lb sugar.
1 tsp nutrient
yeast
1 tsp Pectic Enzyme
½ tsp tannin
1 tsp glycerine
Water to 1 gallon

That's a chill haze, and it's something to do with proteins.

You can try to treat with bentonite, or just wait for your wine to warm again by a few degrees.

If you're using a specific yeast as opposed to the GP yeast compounds (which already contain it), half a tsp of bentonite to the gallon from the start should prevent the problem.

Chill haze :thumb: I will try bentonite as I have only bottled 1 gallon so far.
I used Vin Clear but I assume bentonite has different properties.

Thanks for your help.
Andrew :drink:

Vinclear (liquid) is an isinglass finings which I have used extensively and found to do a pretty good job. It won't deal with hazes.

Bentonite can be used as a vegetarian-friendly finings, but can also play a preventative role when added at the same time as the yeast. I have mixed feelings about the Jack Keller site, but take a look halfway down this page under the section about clarifying.

Latest posts

Back