Multiple Musings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moley

Regular.
Reaction score
Went round the pub last night. Our 'local' may be geographically convenient, but it looks like the sort of place I would normally avoid. It's a road pub with a big car park, on a junction, and I think it may have been a Beefeater before it was a Harvester. Although it's only about two-thirds of a mile away and within easy walking distance I think we lived here for 14 years before we ever bothered going in. However, I think it has changed hands again in the last couple of years, has been re-done quite nicely and has quite a nice atmosphere. It's now a Marston's Tavern, food is 2-for-1 and there are always 2 guest ales at £2.35/pint. Last night, 2 rounds of drinks, a meal for four and change from forty quid. We're not exactly 'regulars' but must go there at least once a month now.

The guest ales at the moment are Jennings Yan T'yan Tethera and Wychwood Wild One, with Marston's Ashes Ale and Ringwood Boondoggle in reserve.

It seems that Wychwood Wild One (4.8%) is an OAT Ale - what's this about, anyone made one?

Virtualgirl asked about getting bottles from pubs, well on my 2nd visit to the bar, someone clearing outside tables had put a couple of Bulmer's bottles with the empty glasses so I said "oh, could I have those please, and have you got any more behind the bar?" I returned to our table with a small rubbish sack (pedal bin size) of empty cider and wine bottles. Mrs. Mole finds this practice embarrassing in a public place and muttered to me "next table are watching you". Sure enough, I looked over to the next table and their expressions said WTF? so I told them I make my own and had just been collecting empties from the bar. They were quite happy with that explanation, nodded their assent and returned to their meals. Who else embarrasses their family in public?

Pubs are usually glad to get rid of bottles, but on my way to work I pass a convenient Bottle Bank with lift-the-lid type bins (as opposed to push-'em-through-a-hole). A few times I have stopped there to deposit our empty jars but withdraw Magner's bottles. What's the legality on that? Are these bottles now a Local Council revenue source or more of a nuisance to them?

Some labels (such as Magner's) just float off in hot water, but others seem determined to leave all their stickiness on the bottles. I'd rather not use solvents, is there any easier way with those?

I think that's more than enough for now.

Moley said:
Who else embarrasses their family in public?

Oooh. I know this one.

Me!

Pubs are usually glad to get rid of bottles, but on my way to work I pass a convenient Bottle Bank with lift-the-lid type bins (as opposed to push-'em-through-a-hole). A few times I have stopped there to deposit our empty jars but withdraw Magner's bottles. What's the legality on that? Are these bottles now a Local Council revenue source or more of a nuisance to them?

Technically they're a revenue source (depending on the council) but I used to take them from the local recycling bins. Even had the bloke who collects them give me a bag full once.

Surely recycling them by using them as a bottle as is, is better then having them ground down and then recast.

Some labels (such as Magner's) just float off in hot water, but others seem determined to leave all their stickiness on the bottles. I'd rather not use solvents, is there any easier way with those?

Bleach.

jamesb said:
Surely recycling them by using them as a bottle as is, is better then having them ground down and then recast.
The three rules are

Reduce - Cut done on the amount we use . . . difficult to do with bottles unless we just have bigger ones :)
Reuse - Re use the packaging that we have to . . . easy with bottles
Recycle - The last resort . . . if you have too . . . it takes more energy to take them to the recycling plant than is saved by recycling them.

And most green bottles are recycled by being ground up and used in road aggregate :roll:

Thanks JB and Aleman, and I agree that re-use has to be better than recycling.

It's probably academic for me at the moment as I have quite enough bottles and can afford to be choosy. For example, today is our recycling collection day and I've raided Neighbour G's bottle tub because I knew from previous weeks that there would be at least 6 matching wine bottles whose labels will soak off. However, I didn't need to bother with Neighbour W's tub because their Hardy's or Wolf Blass labels can be a PITA.

I will try the bleach next time I have a stubborn one.

i've got a agreement wiht a pub, bout 5 miles away, i ring them when i need some bottles, they put them in a crate out the back, and we collect after dropping daughter of at school!!, although i have noticed the wine bottles are getting more and more of the screw top type!! :twisted: :twisted:

falafael said:
i've got a agreement wiht a pub, bout 5 miles away, i ring them when i need some bottles, they put them in a crate out the back, and we collect after dropping daughter of at school!!, although i have noticed the wine bottles are getting more and more of the screw top type!! :twisted: :twisted:

Nice idea, I like it! Corks still work in the screwtops I've seen, that's alright, isn't it?

leondz said:
Corks still work in the screwtops I've seen, that's alright, isn't it?
I use this type of plastic stopper which seem to suit screw-type bottles better than those which had corks.

Moley said:
leondz said:
Corks still work in the screwtops I've seen, that's alright, isn't it?
I use this type of plastic stopper which seem to suit screw-type bottles better than those which had corks.
Now I find that type of plastic stopper to small, at least in the screw tops I have tried :|

Back