Newbie advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingathing

Reaction score
This is my first post on the forum and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

This will be my second ever brew, the first one being a Sierra Nevada all grain kit which turned out decent. I was in the brewstore in Edinburgh today and came home with the following.

5000g Golden Promise pale malt
250g Caramalt
250g Carapils

100g magnum hops
100g centennial hops
100g citra hops
Safale us-05
I also have 40g of cascade pellets from the last brew.

I'm looking for a little bit more hoppier than the last brew but nothing too strong. If someone could chip in with a hop schedule from experience or knowledge of these hops it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I'm looking to do something very similar for my first all grain very soon.

Cant remember the AA of magnum but that's a bittering hop isnt it? Would prob use 20g of that at 60. Then I'd use 20g each of centennial and Citra with 10 mins remaining, then the same again (20 each of C & C) at flameout, then dry hop with maybe 20g each of C&C (or maybe just the 40g of cascade ypu have leftover) with 4 days left of fermenting

Thanks for the input. The magnum was for bittering as I used it in the last beer and liked it. I'm trying to figure out the AA thing to give a balanced beer. The packets have the AA on it magnum 13%, centennial 9.6% and citra 14.9% which I thought was high.

I didn't dry hop last time hence the cascade so I'm hoping I can improve the the end result.

Recently I've stopped the 10 minutes additions and add at flameout and when the wort goes below 80 degrees. Been getting a lot better hop tastes and aroma.

I've just done a 23l single hop brew using Cascade.
To give some idea of quantities on hops if it helps.

40 grams at boil
40 grams 10 minutes.
Allow temp to drop to 80 (flame out) and added 40 grams for 15 minutes.
Decant to FV, chill and pitch.
Day 10 - 25 grams of Cascade (dry hop)
Day 18 bottle.

It has bitter and fruity notes with aroma.

If I had those hops, then I'd probably use the whole of my Cascade for bittering and the whole of my Citra for Flavour,(40) Aroma(40 and dry hop.(20)
And use about 100g of Caramalt.
But that's only my preference

Just entered your ingredients into Brewmate (free for PC and quick/easy to use) to get this recipe - based on 23litre batch size:

The following gets you to 63 IBU's (Balance value 2.66) which for a hoppy pale ale would be right up my street:

250g Caramalt
250g Carapils

60 minutes boil - 30g magnum hops
15 minutes boil - 20g Centennial, 20g Citra
Flameout (cool to 80°C then add) - 30g Centennial, 30g Citra (I would steep for 30 mins at 80 (°C)

Dry hop with 40g cascade.

Starting Gravity = 1.052
Final Gravity = 1.013
Expected ABV = 5.1%
Safale US05 yeast.

Should be nice !

If you reduce the 60 minute magnum addition to 20g that gives 48 IBU's.
If you reduce the 60 minute magnum addition to 15g that gives 42 IBU's.

Hope this helps, here is the screengrab from Brewmate:

Brewmat screengrab.jpg

Just entered your ingredients into Brewmate (free for PC and quick/easy to use) to get this recipe - based on 23litre batch size:

The following gets you to 63 IBU's (Balance value 2.66) which for a hoppy pale ale would be right up my street:

250g Caramalt
250g Carapils

60 minutes boil - 30g magnum hops
15 minutes boil - 20g Centennial, 20g Citra
Flameout (cool to 80°C then add) - 30g Centennial, 30g Citra (I would steep for 30 mins at 80 (°C)

Dry hop with 40g cascade.

Starting Gravity = 1.052
Final Gravity = 1.013
Expected ABV = 5.1%
Safale US05 yeast.

Should be nice !

If you reduce the 60 minute magnum addition to 20g that gives 48 IBU's.
If you reduce the 60 minute magnum addition to 15g that gives 42 IBU's.

Hope this helps, here is the screengrab from Brewmate:

Thank you very much, that looks like what i'm after. I think i'll go for 20-25g of magnum and try the 80 degree addition.
I will need to download one of these programs and have a play about with them. Seems like a very handy tool.

Thank you very much, that looks like what i'm after. I think i'll go for 20-25g of magnum and try the 80 degree addition.
I will need to download one of these programs and have a play about with them. Seems like a very handy tool.

You are welcome, and yes, worth getting Brewmate or similar, easy to get to grips with after a bit of a play.

This ale turned out very nice. Great zesty flavour from the citra and centennial hops. Didn't get the aroma from dry hopping that I was aiming for so I'll trying putting them in loose next time. This is the hop schedule I went for.

image.png

This ale turned out very nice. Great zesty flavour from the citra and centennial hops. Didn't get the aroma from dry hopping that I was aiming for so I'll trying putting them in loose next time. This is the hop schedule I went for.

You shouldn't need to put them in loose. If I were you I'd try putting them in for longer (5 days).

You shouldn't need to put them in loose. If I were you I'd try putting them in for longer (5 days).

I use one of these dry hoppers as I wanted to leave less pellet in the beer. It seemed to float more than I was expecting and I don't think the hops got best contact with the beer. It smelt great in the FV but the finished product out the bottle only had very little hoppy nose. Next beer I'm going to double up on dry hops and as you suggest do a 5-7 day and maybe a 3 day addition along with weighing it down to submerge them.

image.png

I put them in a muslin bag/sock and tie at the very top so that the bag is as "loose/open" as possible to maximise contact. On my last the bag stayed floating at the top but some people get good results re. weighing down by tying the bag/sock to a sanitized stainless steel spoon or similar

I put them in a muslin bag/sock and tie at the very top so that the bag is as "loose/open" as possible to maximise contact. On my last the bag stayed floating at the top but some people get good results re. weighing down by tying the bag/sock to a sanitized stainless steel spoon or similar

I chuck a load of sanitised baking beans in mine to weigh them down.

Back