Old Speckled Hen. Meh.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about these things... Erm, I don't know if I'm going to get crucified for this, but has anyone else found Fuller's Chiswick bitter (bottle) bland and watery? I've tried it twice and ended up pouring third of a bottle down the drain on the second go.

My favourite at the moment is Station Porter, brewed by the Wickwar Brewery - local to me in South Gloucestershire. It's absolutely gorgeous and it's back on tap in our local Wetherspoons :D

We also have the Bath Ales microbrewery about 4 miles from here and they do cracking beer too. I smell it every time I cycle past - which is several times a week at the moment :thumb:

I don't know, I can ask! If they do, it is SO worth giving a go. I love Porters and Stouts anyway, but this is just something else :cheers:

Hi!

I just emailed the brewery and asked if they would be happy to share the recipe. I will wait to hear!

:whistle:

Ceejay said:
Went round the "in laws" for dinner tonight, which was jolly nice. They always manage to get me a couple of "real ales" in, which is really cool of them. Thing is, I had a bottle of Old Speckled Hen tonight which I used to quite like, before I had had a lot of really good beers. But now, completely different story.

I found it to be lacking in any real flavour - just tasted like there was a lot of sugar involved in the brewing. Strong in the alcohol stakes but really dissapointing flavour-wise.

Does anyone think that's weird or could it be that I've educated my tastebuds?

Come over to the darkside : Kings Old Ale, Darkstar - Smoked Porter and Hepworths Cassic Old Ale. Flavours will blow your trousers off and leave your tastebuds weeping for more!!!

periolus said:
Hi!

I just emailed the brewery and asked if they would be happy to share the recipe. I will wait to hear!

:whistle:

I think you may get a reply along the lines of,

Dear Periolus,

Bugger off.

regards...........
:lol:

but you never know :whistle:

Yeah, we'll see how precious they are! I hope they do share it! Station Porter won the SUPREME CHAMPION WINTER BEER OF BRITAIN 2008 award. No pressure for potential first AG then!

Might as well try stepping right in there at the deep end eh :lol:

Back