Online Ingredients Stores

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
Post your good guys of the genre here....

I have a number of cookbooks with a number of recipes where the ingredients are tough to get, and in my experience this issue is getting worse rather than better. At one point Morrisons was a good bet for some more exotic stuff, but even they have tailed off.

Supermarkets seem to be cutting back on all but the mainstream stuff and as a result, I am finding it ever tougher to source the things I need without trailing across multiple websites and balking at paying delivery money for wee bits and pieces to complete a recipe.

A good example is Franceso Mazzeis book which uses an anchovy water called Garum. He also uses lots of Bottarga.

I have Dan Toombs Thai book, and again, I used to be able to get Galangal, lime leaves etc from Morrisons, but no longer.

So if you know of a good online retailer, for specific stuff or one that stocks more general stuff to a good level, give them some credit here and help a brother out!

Anything Asian i just go to the local spice shops you find amazing stuff in them
This is where I get most of my obedient ingredients that are hard to find elsewhere in traditional English shops. Asian supermarkets are ace for anything and everything, and normally a lot cheaper than Tesco's. You tend to have to live close to a city though.

There's only one near me but it's much more Indian type stuff than oriental/Thai.

I don't know how widespread it is really, but it's become an issue for me of late.

There's only one near me but it's much more Indian type stuff than oriental/Thai.

I don't know how widespread it is really, but it's become an issue for me of late.
I too have noticed that supermarkets haven't stocked as much oriental ingredients as they used to. I have seen the lack of galangal, lime leaves and a variety of spices anymore. I used to be able to buy morels in Sainsbury's years ago too

Sous Chef is my go to for a lot of obscure ingredients. They sell Colatura di alici which is similar to garum. For Spanish ingredients, Brindisa is great. Vallebona similarly for Italian.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back